J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Thu, Apr 27 2017 5:06 AM by dokarl9. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 24 2016 8:54 PM

Duracoat

Anyone ever hear of using duracoat instead of paint on tanks and fenders? I want something strong and more durable than paint. Powder coating is my other option but since I know of no one in my area that does it, duracoat it is.

• Mon, Sep 26 2016 7:27 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,210

Re: Duracoat

Yes, it works well, but it's not fuel proof. You really need a urathane, or epoxy base paint. I painted my bike a couple years ago with a urathane base paint kit I bought on line from SEM for about 70 bucks (search SEM paint/kits). The kit comes with a guart of paint, a pint of hardener, and a pint of thinner. But you should have an extra pint of urathane thinner on hand. My mix ended up needing some more that I didn't have at the time. my paint job went on a little thick, but presentable. Harbor Freight has HVLP spray guns for about 15 bucks, that surprisingly work well. Get one with a nozzle size suggested on the instructions that come with the paint kit. If you don't have a compressor, maybe you could borrow one, or just buy one. The HVLP guns don't use much pressure, 15 to 25 pounds.

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Mon, Oct 3 2016 7:56 AM In reply to

Good morning,

I've used alot of Duracoat on military gear, weapons (entire rifle), knife blades, etc.  All of the colors i've used were subdued colors.  I don't know about the quality of shiney colors, but I can say this.  The durability of Duracoat products is incredible, with the metal surfaces properly prepared.  ABSOLUTE degreasing and glass bead blasting is the basis for a tough finish.

I've also used Duracoat on engine head components on my bikes as well as a couple of sets of rims I wanted desert tan.  In my opinion Duracoat is a superior finish.

For engine components that need to dump heat, Dura coat is good, but Kal-Gard is better.  It's designed to vent heat.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Thu, Apr 27 2017 5:06 AM In reply to

• dokarl9
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 24 2017
    • Posts 11

A regular automotive paint is good enough as long as you prep the surface really good.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)