J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Jan 13 2017 11:19 AM by Ironhead. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 10 2017 7:30 AM

• 3mstaton
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 16 2010
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 12

1980 Shovelhead Oil Filter suggestions and opinions?

I have a 1980 FLT Shovel and the OEM oil filter is HARLEY-DAVIDSON 63796-77 

Of course I want the best possible oil filter to protect and keep the engine lasting.
    I'm considering the HARLEY-DAVIDSON 63731-99 because of the 5 micron filtration.

I'm also considering the magnetic type filter, K&N, Drag Specialties, etc...

Basically, I would like to hear opinions and realities of which oil filter will be best for the engine and making it last.

So here is a list of alternative oil filters for my 1980 Shovel:
    http://www.oilfilter-crossreference....VIDSO/63796-77

I appreciate any advice.

• Tue, Jan 10 2017 8:02 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,476

Re: 1980 Shovelhead Oil Filter suggestions and opinions?

3m - your shovel runs a high-volume / low pressure oiling system and the twin cam runs a higher-pressure / lower volume pump.

What does this mean at the filter?  If you are running synthetic oil (smaller molecules) you may want the smaller filtering (5 micron). 

The flip side is, every filter also has a "blow-by" valve built in based upon the pressure from the oil "just in case" the filter becomes plugged so you still get oil flow (unflitered oil is better than no oil).

Long story short, I wouldn't put a Twin-cam filter on an evo (or older) bike, nor vice versa (evo, shovel on a twin cam).

If a man speaks out in a forest and there is no woman arround, is he still wrong?  Geeked

• Tue, Jan 10 2017 8:34 AM In reply to

• 3mstaton
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 12

Ironhead:

3m - your shovel runs a high-volume / low pressure oiling system and the twin cam runs a higher-pressure / lower volume pump.

What does this mean at the filter?  If you are running synthetic oil (smaller molecules) you may want the smaller filtering (5 micron). 

The flip side is, every filter also has a "blow-by" valve built in based upon the pressure from the oil "just in case" the filter becomes plugged so you still get oil flow (unflitered oil is better than no oil).

Long story short, I wouldn't put a Twin-cam filter on an evo (or older) bike, nor vice versa (evo, shovel on a twin cam).

Good advice!

I'm running straight 60W. So, simple sounds good.

• Tue, Jan 10 2017 8:34 AM In reply to

• 3mstaton
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 12

Ironhead:

Good advice!

I'm running straight 60W. So, simple sounds good.

• Tue, Jan 10 2017 8:54 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 2,476

3m - something a friend, who runs an auto parts warehouse, did was to cut a number of different brands of filters appart to see the filtering and the blow-by valves - the blow-by valves were quite different from brand to brand and even across a single brand (depending on the "style" of filter - high-milage, "synthetic" etc.)

You might want to do a google search to see if anyone has done something similar for filters to fit yoiur bike.

Hope this helps

If a man speaks out in a forest and there is no woman arround, is he still wrong?  Geeked

• Tue, Jan 10 2017 11:06 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,946

3m........DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use the 5 micron filter in your shovel. They are made for the higher pressure Twinkie pumps. The Evo's and older do not have enough oil pressure to push through the 5 micron filters, and you would stand a very good chance of blowing the engine. Stock Shovel filters are just fine...And synthetic oil is very good to use. 20/50 is good unless you're in an extreemly hot year round climate...When the ambient temp is cool at cold starts, the straight 60 will not get to where it's supposed to be as quickly as the 20/50. That's when the most engine ware occurs. The only time I would use 60 wt. is, as I said, in extreem ambient heat, or in a severly worn engine...I have done extensive research, and hands on trials with oil over the years...

I highly recommend 20/50 synthetic in your engine if it is not badly worn, and the air temps are average.

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Wed, Jan 11 2017 8:33 AM In reply to

• 3mstaton
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 12

FX:

3m........DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use the 5 micron filter in your shovel. They are made for the higher pressure Twinkie pumps. The Evo's and older do not have enough oil pressure to push through the 5 micron filters, and you would stand a very good chance of blowing the engine. Stock Shovel filters are just fine...And synthetic oil is very good to use. 20/50 is good unless you're in an extreemly hot year round climate...When the ambient temp is cool at cold starts, the straight 60 will not get to where it's supposed to be as quickly as the 20/50. That's when the most engine ware occurs. The only time I would use 60 wt. is, as I said, in extreem ambient heat, or in a severly worn engine...I have done extensive research, and hands on trials with oil over the years...

I highly recommend 20/50 synthetic in your engine if it is not badly worn, and the air temps are average.

Thanks for the input FX. I did a lot of research and it appears that my 1980 Shovel is best suited by a 30 micron filter. Which is either the OEM HD 63805-80A or S&S 31-4101 (both 30 micron rating).

I think I'm going with the S&S oil filter, I just get a better feeling about their quality. 

As far as the 60W... I am in Florida, so the weather is always warm and my engine runs on the hotter side. 

My engine is rebuilt and blue printed and only has 1500 miles on the rebuild (23,000 original miles). I'm afraid using a synthetic would be risky and she would end up leaking the thinner fluid all the time. The 60W really protects in our weather and is best suited for this bike.

Let me know what you think.

• Wed, Jan 11 2017 10:02 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,946

You're listening to the wrong people 3m. The old wives tale about syn. leaking has to do with the original formulated syn oils that were only available in 5 wt. 5 wt. oil, even petro. based would leak out of weak mating face gaskets/seals...The fact that you have a new blueprinted engine, and things are tight is all the more reason to NOT use straight 60. In Fl. a 20/50 syn would work very well for longevity of your new motor...Use the 60 wt. if ya like, and I hope I'm still around to say "I told ya so" when you find yourself rebuilding that engine again before it's time...

As above, the straight 60 will not get to where it's supposed to be as quickly as 20/50 at cold starts...Engine ware...

20/50 Synthetic oil actually stays thicker and cooler when the engine is hot, than straight 60 hot...

You should run an oil cooler in your area...

I've been using the 20/50 synthetic in my Evo, and Shovels for years with no issues at all, including leaks. That's right, my Shovels never leaked, ever...

FX

• Wed, Jan 11 2017 12:12 PM In reply to

• 3mstaton
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 12

FX:

You're listening to the wrong people 3m. The old wives tale about syn. leaking has to do with the original formulated syn oils that were only available in 5 wt. 5 wt. oil, even petro. based would leak out of weak mating face gaskets/seals...The fact that you have a new blueprinted engine, and things are tight is all the more reason to NOT use straight 60. In Fl. a 20/50 syn would work very well for longevity of your new motor...Use the 60 wt. if ya like, and I hope I'm still around to say "I told ya so" when you find yourself rebuilding that engine again before it's time...

As above, the straight 60 will not get to where it's supposed to be as quickly as 20/50 at cold starts...Engine ware...

20/50 Synthetic oil actually stays thicker and cooler when the engine is hot, than straight 60 hot...

You should run an oil cooler in your area...

I've been using the 20/50 synthetic in my Evo, and Shovels for years with no issues at all, including leaks. That's right, my Shovels never leaked, ever...

Great info FX. You are a good resource and make me think things through.

I still plan on staying with 60W, but mostly because that is the majority opinion of all the shovelhead owners/mechanics I have asked.

I get your points though and will remember them for the future.

Please keep makeing inputs on my posts, you are a knowledgable guy.

• Wed, Jan 11 2017 12:30 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 2,476

3m - I am one of those who have been resisting going to synthetic in my bikes - 20-50 in my Road King and a combination of SAE 50 and 70 in my Ironhead (start with 50 in the spring then add 70 if oil is needed during the summer).

I have noticed that when towing my trailer, my RK gets hot so it will probably be the first then followed by the Iron when my stock of dino oil runs out.

• Wed, Jan 11 2017 12:31 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,946

Thanks Bro, I've been around a long time, and when it comes to oil, I'm quite knowlegable...Like I said 3m, you're listening to the wrong people, and there's a lot of em out there. They're reffering to old worn out engines, also a lot of those out there...Good luck, and I'll be right here to tell ya "I told ya so"...Let us know how yer do'n. This is all very interesting...

Keith, see above. I can see maybe straight 50 synthetic in your case. Synthetic also doesn't get as thick when cold as Petroleum based does. Ya gotta get that oil to where it's suposed to be quickly at cold start-ups, or excessive engine ware will occure...

FX

• Wed, Jan 11 2017 4:25 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,946

Here's something for you to ponder 3m. Harley Davidson never put out a shovelhead from the factory with straight 60 weight oil in it...

FX

• Wed, Jan 11 2017 7:10 PM In reply to

• 3mstaton
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 12

FX:

Here's something for you to ponder 3m. Harley Davidson never put out a shovelhead from the factory with straight 60 weight oil in it...

Lol.... ok, here's one back at ya... Idea

All Harley's come from the factory with conventional oil. No synthetic until after break in period. Cool

• Thu, Jan 12 2017 5:53 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,946

My issue is not with synthetic oil, it is with straight 60 in a fresh engine...

FX

• Thu, Jan 12 2017 2:15 PM In reply to

i run mobil1 15-50 in my twin cam fat boy. just got my shovel bottom endback. gonna start out with 50w conventional then we'll see. i ran straight 50w in my pans back in the day. i'd like to run syn in it eventually. i always heard never run a multi-grade in an air cooled motor. how many miles on a rebuilt motor before it's safe to run syn-oil? in my boats i always ran 30w full syn. 

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >