J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Mon, Feb 6 2017 11:46 AM by FX. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 13 2017 3:21 PM

pushrods

got a set of nos andrew's pushrods. there was no instructions with them. info i've found is 3 1/2 to 4 turns after the end play is taken up. this was referring to a twin cam. i have a shovelhead. maybe a stupid question but could'nt you turn them all the way down and count the turns and divide it in half. i know some you count turns and some you count flats. i have no part #'sfor them either. on another note,some of you mayremember my grandson shawn on here.he was building the sportster.he justdeployed to the middle east ,for the 3rd time.he never got it running.his buddies are picking it up and a dealer's gonna go through everything and get it running.they're gonna eat part of the cost's and they'll pay the rest. what an awesome thing for someone to do. you can't beat the biker brotherhood...

• Fri, Jan 13 2017 4:03 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,050

Re: pushrods

Floyd, that is awsome what they're do'n for the boy...Search tech on this site. Xea posted the adjustments for the different mfg's push rods, as per threads per inch...I always went all the way down then up 10 flats for the Shovels...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Fri, Jan 13 2017 4:22 PM In reply to

thats what i'm thinking.count the number of turns and set it in the middle.

• Sat, Jan 14 2017 5:37 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,050

No Floyd, ya don't want it in the middle. Ya want it closer to the bottom. Here's why: If a lifter has bled down/collapsed after sitting over night or days the engine will start, clatter a little till the lifter pumps up, then you're okay at, say 10 flats up on a stock pushrod... If the lifter is adjusted too lose, you risk a push rod jumping out of it's socket if lifter is collapsed.

FX

• Sat, Jan 14 2017 7:51 AM In reply to

i see what your saying. i'll check out the artical,thanks

• Sun, Feb 5 2017 5:48 PM In reply to

about ready for the pushrods. they are nos from an h-d dealer and had no label. i know they're andrews,but have no part #.  they look like the old one's except the old one's were all the same length( 1 was'nt even the same kind) and the new one's have the 2 longer exhaust rod's. they're 28 tpi. i'm gonna give them a shot and if they fit i guess they'll be ok? note: when i was disassembling the motor i could'nt get the front exhaut rod out without removing the head. this whole bike was jury rigged.

• Mon, Feb 6 2017 6:29 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,050

The longest of the two exhaust rods goes in the front, next longest in on rear exhaust. It's odd you had to take the head off to get that old one out. Maybe the lifter wasn't quite off the cam lobe. Did you find the tech-tip that has the different tpi adjustment for pre-load?

FX

• Mon, Feb 6 2017 10:03 AM In reply to

i have the chart. yea,this bike was the biggest pile of crap i've ever seen.it looked like they adjusted them with vise grips. took the carb off,the rubber bands were wrapped in electrical tape.lol 1 pusshrod was different than the rest but don't remember if it was in the front or not.i'm gettin close but it's been a rough road. and expensive.

• Mon, Feb 6 2017 10:04 AM In reply to

ilooked at a lot of shovelhead pushrods on-line and they look just like the one's i have.i think i'm o.k.

• Mon, Feb 6 2017 10:48 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,050

There really should be a longer pushrod at least in the front exhaust. You could probably adjust an intake rod up that far, but I wouldn't want to chance it bending. It is acceptable to wrap the o-rings with tape, as those are prone to leaking. However I would use that rescue tape stuff, that seals to itself, also called plumbers repair tape, at home supply stores, they also have it here. I keep a roll of it on hand for various fixes...The tape will help hold things together while installing the clamps too, which brings me to another point. I don't like the two piece clamps, they can pinch the seal at the seams, and cause a leak. The OEM style surround clamps work best

One more note Floyd, I may have asked before. Does your 80/80 have the tappet block oil returns to the cyl. bases? If so, i'll tell ya how to eliminate them for better pushrod tube oil draining from the top-end.

FX

• Mon, Feb 6 2017 11:42 AM In reply to

these rubber bands were split right in 2. yes,ihave the 2 regular length and 2 longer.i found the andrews adjusting info. it said 3 1/2 to 4 turns. number of turns not that important. that's what it said. everything on this bike has been rebuilt or replaced but the tranny.thinkin about pullin it and getting it inspected. no sense in stopping now. i think i still have a nickle left.lol

• Mon, Feb 6 2017 11:46 AM In reply to

no, it does'nt have the returns on the tappet block. now,i have a new oil pump. the primary oil line feed,do i just unscrew it and find a screw in plug to block it off? running a belt drive. the rear chain oiler i can just shut off right? ?

• Mon, Feb 6 2017 11:46 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,050

Sounds like a plan man. That nickle won't last long Floyd...

FX

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)