J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sat, Feb 25 2017 5:49 AM by FX. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 21 2017 8:03 PM

Front Caliper Problems

Does anyone have an Idea what would cause the front caliper to engage in warmer weather to the point of locking up the front brake? I replaced the line and the fluid. Pressure builds and I have to open the bleeder to release pressure. It won't always do it right away. Any thoughts?

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 5:18 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,577

Re: Front Caliper Problems

eye - first, welcome to the forums - what part of the country are you from?

besides the line and fluid, have you recently performed any other brake maintenance?  how old is the bike?

since non-synthetic brake fluid absorbes water, it is not uncommon for there to be a build-up of "crap" inside the caliper (behind the seals) which causes the caliper piston to stick after pads have been replaced (push the piston back into the crap to get the new pads on).

Anyone else have any thoughts?

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 9:02 AM In reply to

Ok. it's a 96 Vulcan Classic. I began having the problem out of the blue, one day while out riding for about an hour, the caliper just started to clamp down on the rotor to the point of lock up. I cracked open the bleeder and the pressure was immense. once pressure was released it was fine for a few miles, then did it again. each time the caliper backs off. Then i replaced the pads, cable and flushed the fluid. It not sticking as it is building pressure up in the line.

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 1:01 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,096

Mixing silicone fluid with DOT 3 may cause this. What bike are we talking about. Gook in the caliper may cause this too. I would rebuild it. They have kits here at J&P

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Thu, Feb 23 2017 9:12 PM In reply to

Ok. it's a 96 Vulcan Classic. I began having the problem out of the blue, one day while out riding for about an hour, the caliper just started to clamp down on the rotor to the point of lock up. I cracked open the bleeder and the pressure was immense. once pressure was released it was fine for a few miles, then did it again. each time the caliper backs off. Then i replaced the pads, cable and flushed the fluid. It not sticking as it is building pressure up in the line.

• Fri, Feb 24 2017 12:30 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,096

What type fluid are you using?

FX

• Fri, Feb 24 2017 6:11 PM In reply to

It's DOT 4. That's what that bike calls for.

• Sat, Feb 25 2017 5:49 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,096

Okay, I still think you should rebuild the calipar. I'll bet there's contamination in there...Matter of fact, on that older bike I would rebuild the master too...

FX

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)