J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sun, Mar 19 2017 9:24 PM by floydrose. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 18 2017 11:21 AM

torque cones or baffels

whats the best to run in drag pipes? one better than the other?

• Sat, Mar 18 2017 12:49 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,016

Re: torque cones or baffels

Torque cones will give you some needed back pressure, and lower the exhaust tone. Baffles will give you more back pressure,  but make it quieter of course. Both will improve low to mid range rpm., more so with baffles. It's up to you. More power with baffles but quieter. Some power increase with torque cones, but louder.

Performance is always better if you incorporate the cross-over into your system.

Here's a trick that I'm using now on my Evo: I put cheap shorty mufflers on it that come with removable glass pack baffles. I took the baffles out, and the shorty's act like tuned expansion chambers with exhaust pressure building up inside, then spitting out the narrower exit. I couldn't beleive the increase in power, and they are pretty loud. When that thing hits 2-3k rpm you better be hang'n on. I cut off a pair of drag pipes to accomedate the shorty's.

Let us know how yer do'n Floyd...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Sat, Mar 18 2017 1:14 PM In reply to

thats a good idea.i have some old drag pipes. i was thinking about baffels. i've got some 4 inch. i think i'll drill a mounting hole in the back before i install them and do some experimenting. i know you can gain a lotta hp with the right setup. i have no experience with torque cones. ever hear of dr. dyno? he's on the e. coast. 

• Sat, Mar 18 2017 4:52 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,016

No, never heard of him Floyd. Yes, since all set-ups are different, ya gotta do some experimenting...The torque cones are only a bit better than just straight pipes, and they lower the tone...Most baffles you can cut shorter to ballance performance with sound...Also, if you can afford it right now, the two into one exhausts are excellent for sound and performance.

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Sun, Mar 19 2017 7:05 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,523

Floyd - I had never heard of him either so I googled him - drdyno dot com.  He was supposed to be at Daytona this year - perhaps J&P staff have heard of him?  Maybe shoot a message to them through the "customer service"?

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Sun, Mar 19 2017 9:24 PM In reply to

I actually talked to him a few years back.He's a retired M.I.T. professor. he has a traveling dyno he takes to m/c events. i wanted to see about having him look at my bike. it's first come first serve but he usually only hits e. coast events.he says he can tune exhausts to where you seldom ever need a fuel tuner. he can do it all through the exhaust. he used to have a column in american iron magazine

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)