J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Mar 24 2017 7:49 AM by FX. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 21 2017 8:07 PM

engine numbers

are the engine numbers on a 1980 shovelhead the belly numbers. in 1980 the timing marks changed mid-year after a certain engine number.it's not the vin number so i'm guessing it's gotta be the belly #s. of course i have the skid plate on so i wanna check before i have to take it back apart.

• Wed, Mar 22 2017 6:05 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,180

Re: engine numbers

I don't know Floyd. Since staff isn't on here much, you can call tech, or a dealer may look it up for ya...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Wed, Mar 22 2017 5:01 PM In reply to

i got it on the compression stroke and stuck a straw in the spark plug hole. at tdc,?, a little turn and you can put the dot or the line either one in the timing hole. the dealer said look in the manual.i told him what the manual says.if it was a mid 1980 or older i'm thinking it would'nt have any dots but he did'nt know. i'm gonna assume,yea i know what happens then, the dot is the timing mark and the line is 35 degree's btdc. there's a video on youtube of a guy kick starting a bike that was accidently timed at 35 btdc. it's ugly. so,what say you? 

• Wed, Mar 22 2017 9:58 PM In reply to

got it set on the dot. thats the first thing to appear after it hits tdc. hope in for a test fire tomorrow. and of course another question. hooking my oil lines up. feed,return,2 vents, and  i have a threaded hole just left of the pump in the case. can't find it in the book. any ideas? i think this is the last clymers book i buy. pitiful. i'll keep lookin for what that is.thanks....

• Wed, Mar 22 2017 10:23 PM In reply to

i got it. what i thought was the crankcase vent was the primary oil return line. found the fitting in my mystery box. a miracle! i can just put a plug in the return line hole then,correct? waiting on acouple parts from jp and i should be good to go.gettin excited. tryin to get pics on. might have to hit me up on fb.

• Fri, Mar 24 2017 7:49 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,180

Yes, plug the primary return hole.

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)