J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sun, Apr 16 2017 2:41 PM by FX. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 13 2017 9:45 PM

belt drive shims

when you shim the engine pully does the shim go between the pulley and the insert? tryin to get an education. took my bike for a short spin and i've got 1/4 inch overhang on the outboard side.i have 3/8 empty space on the inboard side so i've gotta come out 1/4 inch or a hair more. doing some research but any info appreciated.  2" BDL-

• Sat, Apr 15 2017 6:28 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,008

Re: belt drive shims

Yes, I would think so. Are you sure it's not engine/transmission alighment? It's a real bugger getting everything lined up. The transmission should be able to slide a bit in it's mounts.

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Sat, Apr 15 2017 9:54 AM In reply to

i think my mistake was using the new trans plate.it did'nt fit so i should have returned it.i contacted bdl to see what they say. i'm about 1/4 inch over the outboard side. i know they sell offset inserts. thinking best bet is probably to put the original trans plate back in first though. fires up in a couple kicks,good oil pressure,sounds good. i'm close.the belt is the only problem i see. 

• Sat, Apr 15 2017 10:44 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,008

Good, let us know how yer do'n Floyd...Maybe you could adjust the engine mounts a bit to align belt. It doesn't seem like it needs much...

FX

• Sat, Apr 15 2017 12:30 PM In reply to

i've got 1/4 overhang. i don't have that much play in the mount. i talked to the tech when i bought the mount.he said they had troubl with those trans plates. i had a bad feeling i should'nt have used it. oh well. found the old one,gonna put it in and see where i'm at. i'm close. if nothing else this thing has been a lesson in patience.it runs and shifts so that makes me feel better. i'll get back when i have some news.good news.

• Sat, Apr 15 2017 9:44 PM In reply to

started pullin the tranny.took the gas cap off to check the gas and the liner came loose in the left tank. the bottom is solid rust. another thing i did'nt feel good about doing. gonna take a step back and re-evaluate this thing.

• Sun, Apr 16 2017 6:29 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,008

Sorry to hear this Floyd. Maybe a radiator shop this time to clean the tank out...The other side may be close behind...

FX

• Sun, Apr 16 2017 11:44 AM In reply to

no,i'm gonna pitch them. i'm done with the liner and if i could clean it out it would have to be lined again. i can't believe how badly it rusted in a matter of 4 or 5 days. live and learn. gonna try n get the belt issue taken care of first. i get there someday.

• Sun, Apr 16 2017 2:41 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,008

Sounds like a plan man...

FX

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)