J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sun, Apr 23 2017 11:12 AM by FX. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 23 2017 3:40 AM

• ironheaDug
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 23 2017
    • Altoona, Pa
    • Posts 2

front end identification

Hi, I'm new here. I'm almost done with the total rebuild of my Ironhead. I MUST RIDE this year. Ive been working on this thing for 3 years now. I ruined the front break master cylinder by putting the wrong break fluid in it and now I have to replace both the master cylinder and the caliper. I think the dufus that I bought the bike from put a 74 front end on. I should actually thank him because I would rather have the disc front break than the drum.

It has cost me some time tho ssh because I have asked around and all but looked on almost every page in the online catalog so far for a caliper that looks like the one I have. I doubt that you can tell anything from the pic I have for my avatar, so I will try to go out to my buddy's garage where I have the bike and get some good pictures of the whole front end and breaks. 

I'm glad I found this site. It looks like there is any part for any year and just as much knowledge 

Thanks in advance IronheaDug

D

• Sun, Apr 23 2017 11:12 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,108

Re: front end identification

Nice to have ya here Iron. The master, and the caliper are not shot due to the wrong fluid.  If they are corroded, it's from age, and fluid contamination by not changing it often enough. You may be able to just rebuild them if not badly corroded. They have kits here, and you're right, this is the place that has everything. If you don't see it in the cat., call, and they can probably get it for you.

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)