J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Jun 16 2017 12:35 PM by FX. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 14 2017 3:27 PM

• IronHeadJen
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 14 2017
    • Mount Vernon, WA
    • Posts 2

Hello Everyone!

My name's Jennifer and I have recently acquired a basket case 1955 K Model that has had its engine swapped out for a 1962 883 Ironhead.  Frame and motor are assembled, but the rest is in pieces in my shop just waiting to be pieced back together.  I am missing a boatload of parts and J&P seems to be a great place to start finding what I need, and then I saw they had a forum for people like me to ask potentially lame questions and get some help, so it's a total win-win.  I hope to get started soon, and all I hope is that most everyone here is willing to help out the noobs!

• Wed, Jun 14 2017 5:56 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,567

Re: Hello Everyone!

Jen - welcome to the forums - what part of the country are you from?

'55K - did you get the origional flat head with it or just the '62 motor?

I have an oddball ironhead as well - a '77 XLT - from what I have been able to find out there were 1099 made in 77 and 8 in 78.  Back "in the day", FX did a lot of work on ironheads too.

talk to you again

Ironhead

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 6:35 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,081

Nice to have ya here Jen. Indeed I did own and race a fair amount of Ironheads, love them. What I forgot about them Ironhead can probably remember. Let us know if we can help you...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 3:28 PM In reply to

• IronHeadJen
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 14 2017
    • Mount Vernon, WA
    • Posts 2

Thanks for the welcome guys!  I'm from Washington State, about an hour and a half north of Seattle.

Ironhead - first, sorry for the almost plagarizing of your name!!  I did not get the original motor, only the '62.  This is definitely not a restoration, but it's my opportunity to make something completely custom.  I bought the bike from an older gentleman who had it for years and collected random parts since then, and it came to me in old, dirty boxes and coffee cups full of hardware.  From what I can tell, HD didn't produce service manuals before 1959, so putting this all together is going to be a challenge!  So thank you in advance for any help you can provide when I get stuck!

Although while I'm here, I would like to get yours and FX's opinions on brakes.  I researched swapping out the front drum brakes for a disc system, and it looks really expensive.  I have never ridden anything with front drums - do either of you have an opinion on this? Washington is wet (duh) so I have always considered drum brakes to be a bad idea, but as I don't plan on riding in the wet, maybe on this bike it won't be a big deal.  Thoughts?

Thanks again, and nice to meet you both!

Jen

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 8:08 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,567

Jen - whenever anyone mentions drum front brakes and being anywhere near other vehicles I think of Yosemity Sam (sp) and his saying "When I say Whow I mean WHOW" as he hits his camel over the head with a club.

Are there any bike parts swap meets in your area?  you may be able to find some good used parts as the basis then only have to buy new parts for the most common wear items (i.e. fork seals, calipers, etc.).

I would start by looking for parts manuals - send a note to J&P customer service (tab above) - they should be able to tell you what they can get for your engine and your frame (likely different manuals).

hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Fri, Jun 16 2017 12:35 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,081

Jen, Murphy's law comes into play here. I rode and raced Sportsters with drum brakes, and it got kinda hairy at times. I actually broke a front brake handle once on a panic stop. Disc is definatly the way to go as long as yer go'n custom...Stock or course you would leave the drums...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)