J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Jun 27 2017 9:40 PM by Ironhead. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 27 2017 5:18 PM

• ckhopkins50
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 24 2017
    • Springfield, MO
    • Posts 2

New member to forum, but a Vet at parts

The bike I am working on now is my fourth build.  It has been a number of years since my last project, about 25 to be specific.  The catloge and parts world has changed greatly.  The JP techs are the best at keeping me from wasting my money on returns, and mis-ordered parts.  Still I "thought" I could order a shifter arm and peg without help.  The arm was perfect, but no clamp bolt was included with the part.  Being a resourceful sort, I improvised with a very good substitute.  The peg was great BUT the diameter in the arm was almost 1/8" larger than the diameter of the threaded end used to attach the peg to the arm.  There was no mention of the size or thread  of the attachment point on the arm, and the peg did not state any special arms or other parts it should work best with, or diameter and thread size.  I take part of the blame for not asking the Tech before palcing the order, but then again, there should be some notation as to which peg fits which shift arms and if the clamp screws are required as well as the specific size and thread.  My point is that some parts need a little more information included so that better decisiona can be made.

• Tue, Jun 27 2017 6:12 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,578

Re: New member to forum, but a Vet at parts

ck - first, welcome to the forums - where are you from and what are you building?

I have found (here and elsewhere for car parts, tractor parts, etc.) that if it ain't in the picture or specifically mentioned, it ain't included. 

I remember back "in the day" something like a water pump for a car came with any gaskets, etc. that were need - not anymore - guess it must be a "cost cutting" thing.

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Tue, Jun 27 2017 9:30 PM In reply to

• ckhopkins50
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 24 2017
    • Springfield, MO
    • Posts 2

Thank you for the welcome,  I am from Springfield, Missouri, and I am building a 1992 FLHTCU into a more custom ride.  Keeping the batwings, and bags, but changing a few things here and there.  Keeping reliability and safe handleing as my major concens.  I was not talking down JP, just offering a suggestion to add a little more info so that parts picking could be a little more reliable.  I guess at 67 I need to understand that "cost cutting" has become a way of life, lol.

• Tue, Jun 27 2017 9:40 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,578

Know where you are coming from - ain't quite to 67 yet, but I have been turning wrenchs on "stuff" for over half a century - i remember laying in the snow un-bolting mufler clamps on Dad's pick-up  to change the mulfler - and as I said, un-bolting the clamps because we couldn't afford new ones">

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)