J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Mon, Jan 15 2018 3:03 PM by andy2175m4. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 18 2017 6:57 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,115

Re: Ironhead

Shug, some Harleys use a special lock in bead with their wheels/tires. You might have to get the Dunlop V bead Harley tire...If you get a flat with this set-up, the bead is supposed to hold the tire to the rim to get you safely to the side of the road...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Wed, Dec 20 2017 11:31 AM In reply to

brought a post to the top in the 84 up big twin section, to reply to this post. you may want to investigate to see if you have CM contour type rims

• Wed, Dec 20 2017 1:10 PM In reply to

• Bangers
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 23 2011
    • Posts 2

If you're referencing the Borani style alloy spoked rim with the "safety bead," I believe they were only used for 4 years in the 70's. I have one on my 73. I run a Kenda Challenger 130/90-18 and have had no issues with the bead, the tire is very soft compound and wears quickly, the sidewall is very stiff and will maintain it's shape even if the tire pressure is low so regular checks are a must. 

• Mon, Jan 15 2018 3:03 PM In reply to

Re: 1980 Ironhead Problems, any advice?

1. the factory ignition modules, under the points cover, are notorious from that era, you should replace it with a new aftermarket module,

2. also replace coil and plug wires, caps and plugs, all NEW ignition components are required for such an old bike.  You should have hot spark on both plugs at all times,

I replaced everything in the ignition of my 79 ironhead and now it starts instantly.

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2