J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sun, Oct 1 2017 11:07 PM by demoderb. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 21 2017 6:54 AM

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,587

LED Headlight Question

looking at LED headlight / passing lights fdor my '96 FLHR, but I gotta admit I don't really understand the terminology with respect to the "amount of light" provided by manufactures (I am a bit of old-shcool watts / volts = amps) .

I have been looking at 805-909 or 805-914 & 755-345, but my real goal is to increase the amount I can see at night.

Any advice would be appreciated 

thanks

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Fri, Jul 21 2017 7:40 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,107

Re: LED Headlight Question

Keith, I notice a marked improvement in brightness with the blue tint halogen bulb in the headlight. Then, if it fails on the road you can replace it easily at an auto parts store, or just carry a spare with you like I do...If the led's fail, yer up the creek, without a headlight...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Fri, Jul 21 2017 11:58 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 2,587

Bob - I have the PIIA H4 style conversion in my Ironhead and I considered getting a LED H4 for the ironhead and moving the PIIA to the '96.  Given th eamount of space inside the headlight bucket of the ironhead, I don't think I can do that without a major effort moving wires from the bucket to someplace under the tank.

Going LED with the headlight will make the bike almost all LED (tail light & signals are already LED - just the little marker light on the nose and the tail of the fender non-LED) so this will reduce the strain on the charging system when towing the trailer.

And I notice the lense on the '96 is starting to "cloud" over. 

• Fri, Jul 21 2017 1:45 PM In reply to

also, keep in mind that the wattage provided, is electrical input, not light output. the more wattage, the higher drain on the alternator. LED's draw less wattage than incandescent bulbs, but put out more light

• Sat, Jul 22 2017 7:02 AM In reply to

• PaulJr36
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 30 2015
    • Daytona Beach, FL
    • Posts 46
    • Staff

Hey Ironhead. We have the Hogworkz display in our store here in Daytona and I can honestly say if it was midnight with all the lights on that display would light up the majority of our showroom. It by far is one of the brightest lights I have seen. I would recommend if you want the brightest one get the HaloMaker series from Hogworkz. The extra Halo light around the outside is just as bright a the regular light. Great light and well worth the extra couple bucks.

• Wed, Aug 16 2017 9:53 PM In reply to

is that a dealer item or can you get it at an auto parts store?

• Wed, Aug 16 2017 9:55 PM In reply to

the blue tint halogen.

• Thu, Aug 17 2017 9:25 AM In reply to

• PaulJr36
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 30 2015
    • Daytona Beach, FL
    • Posts 46
    • Staff

We carry Blue tint halogen H4's Part #3100401 runs $12.99

• Fri, Aug 18 2017 6:41 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 2,587

PaulJr36:

Hey Ironhead. We have the Hogworkz display in our store here in Daytona and I can honestly say if it was midnight with all the lights on that display would light up the majority of our showroom. It by far is one of the brightest lights I have seen. I would recommend if you want the brightest one get the HaloMaker series from Hogworkz. The extra Halo light around the outside is just as bright a the regular light. Great light and well worth the extra couple bucks.

took your advice and ordered the HaloMaker - picked it up from my mailbox last weekend - gonna try to make time to put in in this weekend

• Sun, Oct 1 2017 11:07 PM In reply to

• demoderb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 12 2017
    • Posts 1

Bro, the hogworkz light is great. Good warranty too.  Save your receipt, they're good for 1250 days, or 30,000 hours. Had one shot out and they replaced it. As for the lens, I just re did mine. What size lens? I have a 5.75 inch lens. I went to car quest and got a sealed halogen bulb, 5.7 inches. Took razor blade and peeled the glue and little BB off the back to relieve pressure. Wrapped in foil. Put in oven on 350 for about 10 min or so. removed and split lens from the assembly with a razor knife. Just slowly worked it in the seam. Works great. And only 13 bucks. Total steal. 

Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)