J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Sep 8 2017 3:22 PM by FX. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 4 2017 8:54 PM

• bookwalt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 4 2007
    • Seattle
    • Posts 5

Balance Masters comp. sprocket problem

Hi, working on my 1980 shovelhead frankenbike (titled as a 1980 FLT but there aren't many parts left that were on the original bike, new Paughco frame, 5 speed, hydraulic clutch actuator, etc). Bought it a few years ago from the original builder, hopefully he kept his day job because a talented bike builder he was not. Took off the primary cover to check clutch plates, which were dragging pretty bad. (Sealed primary, fwiw) The compensating sprocket is a Balance Masters, and while i had the cover off i noticed that the sprocket nut has been rubbing against the inside of the primary cover, to the point where it's about 10 aluminum molecules away from wearing all the way through. I don't think it's been doing this for long, I've had the cover off many times in the last few years and i think i would have noticed the wear before now, but i wouldn't bet my life on it. I did have a great local mechanic poking around in there a year or so ago, he was working on the starter gear assembly but I'm pretty sure he would have noticed the sprocket nut drilling a big hole in the primary cover. The sprocket nut is not noticeably loose, at the very least i can't unscrew it with my fingers and there's no wiggle room in and out. I ran out of time before i could remove the sprocket assembly, so i don't know if there are shims i can remove to get the sprocket away from the cover, but assuming it hasn't been doing this since install, what could cause the sprocket to start coming out like that without the nut coming loose? I've heard very mixed reviews about the Balance Masters CS, but i can't find any mention of this problem. I think i have a spare motor sprocket in my pile o parts, any reason not to yank the CS and replace it with that. (Assuming it's the right part) Thanks for any help!

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 5:15 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,098

Re: Balance Masters comp. sprocket problem

I'm thinking bad sprocket...Try the other one, and inspect the CS when you have it off...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Tue, Sep 5 2017 10:23 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,578

book - might I suggest that before taking it appart you try re-torquing the nut to ensure it isn't a loosing nut causing the problem?  Just one extra step that could eliminate the possible problems.

Let us know how you get along 

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Wed, Sep 6 2017 5:46 PM In reply to

• bookwalt
    • Not Ranked
    • Seattle
    • Posts 5

Good ideas all around. Turns out i don't own a 1-1/2" socket, wrench, etc. anymore. As soon add i find/buy one I'll dig in and report back. Thanks. 

• Thu, Sep 7 2017 7:38 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,578

Seattle - there must be a Harbor Freight there, they should have one.  Some of my big sockets are 3/4 drive - I just use a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter

Hpe this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Thu, Sep 7 2017 9:38 PM In reply to

• bookwalt
    • Not Ranked
    • Seattle
    • Posts 5

About a block from my house, imagine my surprise that they don't carry a 1-1/2" impact socket unless you buy a big set. However, i borrowed one from a co-worker and removed the sprocket nut. 2 things i learned before the light failed: there ain't no way that bolt was torqued to 160#, I'd be surprised if it was more than 20#. So it's very possible that it worked out far enough to rub against the primary cover. The second discovery was that as far as i could tell there was no thread lock of any color or grade in there. I still have to check the clutch plates (what got me in there in the first place), hopefully this weekend I'll get time to get a good look at the whole enchilada, maybe take some pictures. 

• Fri, Sep 8 2017 3:22 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,098

Book, do not use an impact wrench on that nut, you risk spinning the crank that is only pressed together. Use a very long breaker bar, and have someone sit on the bike with it in gear, and holding the brakes...you don't need lock tite, if it is torqued right. Lock tite would make it near impossible to get off the next time...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)