J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sun, Dec 2 2001 6:59 PM by seflstf. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 1 2001 8:33 PM

Type of fluid to use in hydraulic clutch

What type of fluid should I use in a new hydraulic setup that I am putting on my bike? I believe it is good old DOT 5 but I want to make sure. Thanks
  • Sat, Dec 1 2001 8:39 PM In reply to

• 84evo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 24 2001
    • Posts 77

Re: Type of fluid to use in hydraulic clutch

my vote would be dot 5 also...every one I have seen used brake fluid in them. You might want to double check and see if yours might call for the silicone fluid
  • Sun, Dec 2 2001 7:20 AM In reply to

• 84evo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 24 2001
    • Posts 77

silicone and regular old brake fluid usually serve the same purpase, but shouldnt be mixed. regular old automotive brake fluid will ussually eat your expencive pait. most all hydralice systms ive seen for bike use use silicone fluid that is safe to use around painted stuff like tanks, fenders etc.
  • Sun, Dec 2 2001 6:55 PM In reply to

There are major differances between DOT 3 and DOT 5. DOT 3 is a petrolum distilate based fluid and DOT 5 is silicone based. If the rubber parts of your system are made for DOT 5 and you use #3 you will ruin the rubber parts. If the system was meant for DOT 3 and you use #5, you again will ruin the parts. DOT #3 was developed primarily for late model automotive applications, were heat build up was not as apparent. Remove the master cylender cover on a high milage auto the fluid will most likly be black in color. This color change is from the rubber componets breaking down in the system. DOT 4 was a derivitive of the silica and the petrolum based fluids this withstood the heat but caused premeture wear of the rubber parts, and was also more hydosclastic, witch means it would attract mosture at a higher rate contaminating the system. Allthough it is still used today. Dot 5 is a true sinthetic low hydosclasticity, and non corosive to the internal metals. BE absolutly certain of what fluid the manufacture recomends and use only that fluid.
  • Sun, Dec 2 2001 6:59 PM In reply to

Both and all brake fluids that are spilled on painted surfaces must be cleaned thoughly, they all will couse damage to the paint. What protects the paint is a good coat of wax. Wash off any spills imediatly with good old soap and water.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)