J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Dec 6 2017 11:32 AM by Ironhead. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 5 2017 5:21 PM

ADDING A [REDUNDANT] KICK START TO THE 83 xlx SPORTER 1000, CAN IT BE DONE? etc.

OF COURSE,  It has electric start, but I'm of the opinion that having the kicker is a huge benefit. I'm not familiar with this sportster yet, just purchased. Lots of other mods and projects with her planned in future.

thanx

Beastie

• Tue, Dec 5 2017 9:13 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,587

Re: ADDING A [REDUNDANT] KICK START TO THE 83 xlx SPORTER 1000, CAN IT BE DONE? etc.

Beastie - first, welcome to the forums - what part of the country are you from?

I have considered that mod for my '77 and I believe it can be done for your '83 (if you can find the parts).

On the left side engine case there is a round plug which can be removed to give access to the back-side of the flywheel - it can be found by looking from the right side of the engine, behind the sprocket and the transmission case, and above the swingarm (you may have to remove the fender or the flywheel to see it.  If it has that plug then you should be able to get a "kicker" flywheel (or the weld-on kicker plate4 for the flywheel), jack shaft, leaver arm, return spring assembly, kicker arm, sprocket cover, . . .

My suggestion with this old of a girl, get a parts manual and a shop manual - for my '77 my parts manual is an HD manual and the ship manual I prefer to use is a Clymer - I think you can get both of them here at J&P.

For availability of new (probably after market) parts to do the conversion, check with J&P's staff through the "customer service" tab near the top of the page.

hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Wed, Dec 6 2017 9:39 AM In reply to

Re: ADDING A [REDUNDANT] KICK START TO THE 83 xlx SPORTER 1000, CAN IT BE DONE? etc.

according to my books, the 1980 and newer sportster do not have the machine work done to the cases to allow a kick start. i have kits for 1979 and older, and 1991 and newer, but nothing for 1980-1990 that i can find

• Wed, Dec 6 2017 11:32 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,587

Thanks for following up on this.

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)