J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Mon, Apr 9 2018 4:26 PM by OldGoat62. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 7 2018 11:52 AM

'83 Restoration

Is there a good guide or checklist for a bike restoration? I want to restore an '83 FXRS that hasn't been started since '89 and the potential to screw things up is pretty high.

Any tips or info on a guide would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Sat, Apr 7 2018 2:19 PM In reply to

Re: '83 Restoration

congratulations on finding an FXR. best bike hd ever built in my opinion. parts for 1980-83 rubber mounts can sometimes be hard to find. first thing i'd do, is go to your local dealer, and buy a parts and service manual. prepare for sticker shock, they get a lot of money for them. you can ask questions here, i'm fairly familiar with the rubber mount bikes, and can help you find parts. you say you want to restore this bike. do you want to ride it, or are you looking to bring it back to showroom stock condition? oem painted parts and decals will be very difficult to find if you want to go back to showroom. engine parts and internal transmission parts can still be had, as well as most hard of the rest of the hard parts. if you'd like, click on my icon, and send me an e mail with a photo so i can get an idea of what you have to work with

• Sat, Apr 7 2018 3:26 PM In reply to

I have a HD Service Manual and am interested in putting it back in riding condition. But with the large # of of things to check, clean, flush, re-build, & inspect; trying to get a handle on what needs to be done and more importantly what has to be done is a little daunting.

• Sat, Apr 7 2018 3:46 PM In reply to

start with the basics. new tires and good brakes. if the brakes are mushy or don't work, you may need to rebuild and flush. does the clutch cable and throttle cables operate smoothly? lube them, if they are still stiff, replace them. drop the carb bowl, if it's all varnished up, time for a rebuild. flush out the gas tank, if it's full of rust, you may have to use a sealer kit on the inside of it to keep the rust out of the fuel. drain trans, primary, engine oil, change the filter. if motor hasn't been turned over in a while, spray some oil [NOT wd-40!!] into the spark plug holes and let it soak the rings before trying to turn it over. new battery. new plugs and wires. new air filter. the crankcase is probably full of oil from the check valve seeping, so be prepared for a lot of oil coming out the breather when you first turn it over. leave the oil tank about a quart low for the first start so it doesn't over flow. . after you get it running and get all the oil out of the crankcase, drain it and change the filter again. if the breather still goes into the air cleaner, skip the new filter until after it gets all the oil out of the crackcase. check the fall away on the front fork, almost surely you will need to remove, clean and pack the neck bearings. and change the fork oil. it wouldn't surprise me if the rear chain is in need of replacement, and check the teeth on the sprockets, if they are sharp and pointy, replace em. the front motor mount is shaky on those, it's probably stiff and weathered from age, replace it, and check the rear mounts, they are probably hard also, but it's the front one that always breaks. then once you get it up and running, you'll find anything esle that is worn or leaking. and i've probably forgot something, but that's the basics

• Sat, Apr 7 2018 4:00 PM In reply to

Sounds like a good starting point. I appreciate the guidance & pointers. This will keep me busy for a few weekends. I tried to attach some photos with no joy.

• Sun, Apr 8 2018 11:00 AM In reply to

i showed your photos to the guys i work with here at the Anamosa parts counter, their reaction was 'wow' let us know how it goes, and i would love to see photos when you are up and running

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 7:00 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,612

sfranta:

start with the basics. new tires and good brakes. if the brakes are mushy or don't work, you may need to rebuild and flush. does the clutch cable and throttle cables operate smoothly? lube them, if they are still stiff, replace them. drop the carb bowl, if it's all varnished up, time for a rebuild. flush out the gas tank, if it's full of rust, you may have to use a sealer kit on the inside of it to keep the rust out of the fuel. drain trans, primary, engine oil, change the filter. if motor hasn't been turned over in a while, spray some oil [NOT wd-40!!] into the spark plug holes and let it soak the rings before trying to turn it over. new battery. new plugs and wires. new air filter. the crankcase is probably full of oil from the check valve seeping, so be prepared for a lot of oil coming out the breather when you first turn it over. leave the oil tank about a quart low for the first start so it doesn't over flow. . after you get it running and get all the oil out of the crankcase, drain it and change the filter again. if the breather still goes into the air cleaner, skip the new filter until after it gets all the oil out of the crackcase. check the fall away on the front fork, almost surely you will need to remove, clean and pack the neck bearings. and change the fork oil. it wouldn't surprise me if the rear chain is in need of replacement, and check the teeth on the sprockets, if they are sharp and pointy, replace em. the front motor mount is shaky on those, it's probably stiff and weathered from age, replace it, and check the rear mounts, they are probably hard also, but it's the front one that always breaks. then once you get it up and running, you'll find anything esle that is worn or leaking. and i've probably forgot something, but that's the basics

That is quite a list - the only things I would add is while the rear wheel is off, check the rear shocks and the swing arm bearings.

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 9:54 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,141

That reminds me of something else to check, when Ironhead mentoined the swing-arm. Some of those vintage big-twins used a three piece swing-arm shaft that are known to break, I had that happen...I would remove the swing-arm, and check for that. If it's the three piece, replace it with a one piece, and new bushings, they have them here...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 4:26 PM In reply to

Thanks for the response & input, I'll add to the checklist I've created.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)