J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, May 15 2018 11:20 AM by FX. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 13 2018 7:34 PM

oil cooler

I know oil is the life blood of any engine. And oil does not tolerate heat.  Is an oil cooler a smart addition or just an expensive gadget. 

• Sun, May 13 2018 10:11 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,670

Re: oil cooler

bob - first, welcome to the forums - what part of the country are you from and what are you ridin'?

I have an oil cooler on my Ironhead (looks something like J&P Part: 126-860 - i don't have any of the tempature controls to automatically permit access to the cooler - I have a little cover that i can pull on and off depending on the tempature (i.e. early spring, late fall).

Is one needed?  I don't think it hurts and depending on where and how you drive it may be very bennifical. 

have yoiu looked at using synthetic oil?

Ironhead

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Mon, May 14 2018 4:32 AM In reply to

Using synthetic oil.  live on gravel road so I was concerned about rocks hitting and damaging cooler,  Have always worried about cooling of rear cylinder in slow traffic

• Mon, May 14 2018 4:58 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,670

bob - if you are worried about slow traffic, I would look at one that has a fan - help to force air through.  there is also a fan system (replaces the horn) - "love jugs" I think they call it - I have run into a couple of people who had them and liked them

for the gravel road, if you had a small "bag" that you could slip over the cooler for while you are on the gravel - the engine wouldn't run any hotter than it does now.

The one I have sits on the left downtube, as close to the neck as I can get it

Hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Tue, May 15 2018 11:20 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,210

Bob, get a dip-stick with a thermometer , they have them here. If you are running over 200 degrees consistantly I would recommend a cooler. Synthetic may drop the oil temp a bit...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)