J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, May 15 2018 12:11 PM by FX. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 14 2018 3:12 PM

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,191

Steve

One more quick question on the '86 883. How much fork oil wet? This thing not only suffered 6 years not stored right, it has many years prior neglect, and terrible care...But I will restore it...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Tue, May 15 2018 8:33 AM In reply to

Re: Steve

my cheat sheet says 5.4 wet, 6.5 dry. on another note, i'm retiring ol red. getting older, wanted something a little lighter and lower, so i bought a 02 flstc yesterday, with 7500 miles on it. looks brand new

• Tue, May 15 2018 10:11 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,646

practically a brand new bike 

I have been thinking some of the same thoughts due to my knees - go with something lighter?  or trike the king?  or add a side car?

I still like to ride some distance now and again (daughter is about 600 miles away) so i don't think something lighter would suit me

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Tue, May 15 2018 11:12 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,191

Thanks Steve. My nephew just informed me that he does have a service manual for his wifes 883, so I should'nt have to bother youz guys anymore... Nice bike the flstc. But I don't care for the mechanics of the softails...I had a Bro break a shock mount on his, and they're a mightmare to adjust...

FX

• Tue, May 15 2018 11:33 AM In reply to

all that being said, i have a history with this bike. belonged to a guy who worked for John almost from day one here, his sister was John's wife. he passed last year, i bought it from his son. another interesting fact is that XEA's magic fingers did the tune on it, and it is the best running cv carb bike i have ever ridden.

• Tue, May 15 2018 12:11 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,191

I like the CV carbs too Steve, I was almost gonna put one on this 883, But couldn't find one at a reasonable price. Wow, quite a history on that bike, and Scott had his hands on it. Gotta be good...

FX

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)