J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sat, May 26 2018 4:40 PM by Pat4723. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 26 2018 12:06 AM

• Pat4723
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2018
    • Posts 2

1997 Road King Speedo Upgrade Wiring Question

I bought a new Drag Specialties Speedo 2210-0344 and Wiring Harness 212-0302 a few months ago and just now installing it.  I have everything connected except the four wires from the new speedo harness orange/white, white/green, black/yellow and black.  

The old speedo had "Five" wires connected to it (not four like the new one) labeled orange/white, white/green, black/yellow and two more wires, one says GN/R (P) that is black and the other additional wire is just black with no label.   What do I do with the black wires from both?  Thank you, Pat 

• Sat, May 26 2018 9:36 AM In reply to

• PaulJr36
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 30 2015
    • Daytona Beach, FL
    • Posts 49
    • Staff

Re: 1997 Road King Speedo Upgrade Wiring Question

Orange/White should be the backlights. GN/R (P) and the Black look both look like ground wires. (P) usually means Power so based off of what I am seeing in the photo it should be the ground. Question when you go back to the deutch pin connector for the speedo is it a 4 or 5 pin connector?

• Sat, May 26 2018 4:40 PM In reply to

• Pat4723
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2018
    • Posts 2

Re: 1997 Road King Speedo Upgrade Wiring Question

I didn't have the deutch pin removal tool and since I wasn't sure which old pins to pull from the deutch connector I didn't touch the connector/pins and really jack them up.   I went with splicing the four new wires in with the old, secured/taped off the GN/R (P) and connected the other color-coded four wires to their mates and it works like a champ!  Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)