J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, May 29 2018 3:37 PM by Ironhead. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 29 2018 2:07 PM

When to paint

Hello to All: Hope everyone had a Great Labor Day Weekend, I'm finishing up the rolling chassis on a Blockhead build, and have to make a decision... I really don't look forward to installing the S&S V-96 more than once, but have heard it best to, prior to painting. I did fit the Tranny, making sure it lined up with the rear sprocket. I'm using a Kraftech Softail frame, and am banking on their reputation for quality, sooo it's a roll of the dice. My last build was in the stone age, alot of water... and brain cells have gone under the bridge since then, and I can't recall if I prefitted or not. nor can I remember if I had painted the motor mounts.   Sing out with thoughts or advice, Thanks, and Happy Trails 

• Tue, May 29 2018 3:37 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,633

Re: When to paint

I strongly recommend you assemble everything (well. maybe not the wiring if it is going inside the frame) and pressure test everything that will be holding fluids before you paint.

any threaded bolt holes can be filled with a cheap bolt or plan to re-thread thembefore assembly and any non-threaded holes may require reaming with a drill so they don't interfer with bolt clearances

anything that will be accepting a bearing race (i.e. neck) should also be adressed to ensure there won't be a problem during assembly

Basically, if paint or powder can get somewhere, it will

hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)