J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Thu, Jun 21 2018 11:48 AM by sfranta. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 21 2018 11:32 AM

Clutch Draging

I`m working on a friends 1979 FXE . The clutch is dragging pretty good and hard to put in gear . I pulled the clutch plates out cleaned them really good and reassembled according to the book . I measured the highth of the clutch pack to 1 1/32 inches as said . Adjusted the screw and clutch cable for the 1/8 clutch lever slack . When going into 1st gear it is hard and dragging . I adjusted the spring nuts to about 1 thread showing in order to get it from dragging and going into gear easy . No stomping on the lever . I have never had to adjust one this far out before . When not running it seems to do just fine doing by hand . Could this be normal for this bike ?

• Thu, Jun 21 2018 11:48 AM In reply to

Re: Clutch Draging

first, check the plates and steels to make sure they are not warped, they need to be perfectly flat. make sure the fiber plates are dry, any oil contamination can make them stick together. then make sure the inner hub and/or outer shell are not wobbling or loose. that clutch is 1930's technology, so it's not all that great when in perfect operating condition, any variance or looseness can cause your problem. aftermarket fixes like 6100035 and 620-685 exist because of the problems these clutches normally have

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)