J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Jul 6 2018 1:48 PM by Slammer2005. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 6 2018 6:17 AM

engine cuts out at high rpm

I have a 2005 American Ironhorse Slammer with a S&S 111.  It has recently developed a condition which is getting worse.  When its cold, (first 15 mins) there are no issues.  After that It starts to cut out.  Engine simply shuts off just like your turning the key off and then on.  It will backfire intermitently.  The duration of each occurence varies from a few seconds to the point of complete stall.  It seems to idle ok.  The led tach indicator drops off completely as if it has lost signal.  The dash gauge and all other lamps stay illuminated.  I had to limp it back the other day for 8 miles.  At low rpm, just above idle the problem is less apparent.  I suspect the coil has loose connections or has cracked.  This engine is rigid mount so the vibration is unforgiving.  Has any one had a simalar issue with this setup.  I realize this is a rare bike but the 111 not so much.

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jul 6 2018 6:39 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,201

Re: engine cuts out at high rpm

Most likely a bad coil that's heating up and failing. Could be ignition, but I would start with the coil. The bench test would be inconclusive, take it somewhere and have it load tested...Not likely vibration is causing the problem...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Fri, Jul 6 2018 9:30 AM In reply to

i agree, start with a new coil. also could be a bad pickup or ignition module

• Fri, Jul 6 2018 1:47 PM In reply to

Thanks

• Fri, Jul 6 2018 1:48 PM In reply to

Thanks Bud

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)