J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Thu, Oct 11 2018 6:34 AM by FX. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 9 2018 10:52 PM

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 9 2018
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 10

Pink goopy stuff in Dyna Tranny

Just purchased a '99 FXDWG, the bike has been sitting a long time.  When changing the tranny fluid, I discovered some Thick Pink Goopy substance on the dipstick. It almost looked like there was a bit of water on the dipstick as well. I changed out the tranny fluid twice and still have the pink junk coming out of the tranny.  The Clear Clutch Cable is also very discolored in a shade of dark pink.  I am going to change out the Clutch Cable ( buying from JP, of course ).  Upon opening the Clutch Cable Cover, I discovered an over abundance of the pink stuff inside the Clutch Cover on the side of the tranny. ( pic attached ). My question is What is the best way to FLUSH out the tranny and get rid of all the pink crap and What best to use in completeing the flush out.??   Sorry, no pic, cant figure out how to post a pic.  Any help or IDEAS concerning this paricular issue will be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Tom V

MrVee1950

I'm older now but still runnin' against the wind... (b.seger 1980)

• Wed, Oct 10 2018 6:10 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,206

Re: Pink goopy stuff in Dyna Tranny

Bel Ray trans oil is red, so I would think the pink color is contaminated Bel Ray (there may be others). You can flush it with kerosene...Oh, by the way, nice to have ya with us MrVee

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Wed, Oct 10 2018 10:13 AM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 10

Thanks FX.. appreciate the info.. I was wondering about kerosene... i used that to clean out a motor when i was a teenager.. but that was a long long time ago..  

Thx again , 

MrVee1950

Tom V

MrVee1950

• Wed, Oct 10 2018 3:50 PM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 10

Hey FX,

I just spoke with a "Technician" from the JP Cycles 'ChatLine'  and he was TOTALLY against using kerosene to flush out the pink stuff.. I wonder why he was so dead set against using that.  He said to put NOTHING except Tranny Fluid in the tranny..  Guess i will talk to someone else and find out if there are any type of " Flush Out ' chemicals available.. ? 

Tom V

MrVee1950

• Wed, Oct 10 2018 7:35 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,661

Tom - What the technician may be afraid of is having too much kerosene in the tranny and contaminating moving surfaces, like bearings, etc. which would then get abnormal wear until the new tranny fluid works it way between the surfaces.

I do agree with getting the crud out - it is most likely dirt which was suspended in the fluid then settled while the bike was sitting.  Perhaps short changes on the tranny fluid?  500 or 1000 miles then change the fluid?  Do that 2 or 3 times?

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Wed, Oct 10 2018 9:58 PM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 10

Thanks a bunch, Ironhead..  I tend to agree with the kerosene idea to a certain extent, to get rid of it right away.. However, your thoughts on contaminating the surfaces until the new fluid works it way in, makes alotta sense.. Now that I have found out that the crud is some leftover HEAVY wieght tranny fluid.. I will take your advice and do some 500-1000 mi. changes...  I doubt weather i will ever get it all out, but, i am not going to worry if there is very little of the stuff mixed in...   for the price of HD tranny fluid, 2 or 3 changes in the next 2 or 3 thousand miles, is not gonna break the bank.. the only problem will be getting that many miles on the bike in the next few months...  with the colder months on the way..  I dont ride in colder weather as much as I used to ...  like I dont do alotta things as much as I used to .. lol..  I'll be 70 in a lil over a year from now...  Thanks very much for the info... I will have to say , I wish I woulda known about this JP Cycles forum group YEARS ago...  

Thanks Again

Tom V

MrVee1950

• Thu, Oct 11 2018 6:34 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,206

I've used kerosene to flush out transmissions with no problems. Maybe the tech is refering to 'driving' it with the kerosene in there...Don't do that...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)