J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Oct 17 2018 9:54 PM by MrVee1950. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 13 2018 12:17 PM

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 10 2018
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

Dyna Clutch Adj. Issue

Installed new Clutch Cable on my 99 FXDWG..  First I did all the adjustments according to a few different U-Tube vids and That didnt work.. RESULT: No Clutch Lever.. ( too much slack in cable ) .. then i did it according to the HD Service Manual ... Same result.. cannot get enough LEVER to see the Clutch Disengage inside the Primary ( with ALL the slack taken out of cable )  HELP !  Do NOT understand Why I cannot manage to adjust this simple mechanism to make it work properly... 

MrVee1950

I'm older now but still runnin' against the wind... (b.seger 1980)

• Sat, Oct 13 2018 1:58 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,670

Re: Dyna Clutch Adj. Issue

Tom

First I would verify you received the proper cable - length of both outer casing and inner cable.

Then I would check to ensure the mounting at the handle bar is correct - everything is in its proper spot

If you haven't found anything amiss, I would then check the connection at the tranny, again looking for something that isn't quite right.

I couldn't count the number of time i have had to take something apart (for the third time) 'cause I missed something.

Hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Sat, Oct 13 2018 2:23 PM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

Thanks Ironhead..,

I replaced the cable with the exact Magnum Braided cable that i took off, I just now redrained the tranny and took off the Clutch Release cover 'again'.. and pulled on ythe cable and it seemed to pull trough farther than it was before.. ( almost felt as if the cablewas bound up somewhere in the line .. gonna go bak out to the garage and bolt up the cover , then adjust the clutch again , then hopefully , i can get some lever and some movement inside the primary.. ( after lunch )..  Thanks for your input .. 

MrVee1950

• Sat, Oct 13 2018 8:11 PM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

well..  you were right .. after  removing the Clutch Release Cover.. and what i thought wasa snag or the cable binding up somewhere in the line .. and after readjusting the clutch in the primary..  the clutch lever adjusted perfectly, using the cable adjustments ...with about a 1/16" play at the perch...  

One of my 'socket sets' are different , being that the sockets have the capability to accept an allen wrench through the middle of the socket and ratchet...  so after backing off the clutch adjustment screw under the derby cover, i can keep the screw stationary and use a socket to tighten the locknut...  ( not having to use a wrench and risk slipping off the nut and banging into the derby cover opening )  

Also, I think I discovered the problem why it wouldnt adjust...  the cable musta got caught between the triple tree and the front fork when the wheel was turned ...   as i discovered a cut in the teflon coating in the cable...    or whatever the coating on the braided cable is...  Just Sayin.. 

Thanks again .. 

MrVee1950

• Mon, Oct 15 2018 4:47 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 2,670

Good that you got it solved.  I have been known to use a bit of electrical shrink wrap to cover cables where there is minor damage to the casing.

have a good one

• Mon, Oct 15 2018 1:01 PM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

Thanks Ironhead..  I have some Shrink Wrap.. I will use that to take care of the cut where the line got pinched... NEXT QUESTION:  Having a very difficult time in removeing the OIL PRESSURE sensor , to install an OIL PRESSURE GauGE kit.. any ideas ??? OR Is there ANY other point where I can install  a fitting to run an Oil Pressure Gauge   ??? 

MrVee1950

• Mon, Oct 15 2018 2:39 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 2,670

I don't think I would use shrink wrap on any line that had pressure in it - the only line I might consider is a feed line but at the cost of rubber in bulk, I think I would just buy a new piece.

have you tried a "crows foot" wrench on the fitting?  maybe see if there is one available that is 5 sided (like a brake line wrench)?

If you have never seen one, a crows foot wrench is a very short open wrench with a square hole to take your ratchet extension so you can work from above the fitting.

PS: I went to Harbor Freight's web site and searched for "crows foot wrench" and they have a selectiion.

• Mon, Oct 15 2018 5:10 PM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

Thanks .. i got it off, with a pair of vice grips... however .. after all that the JP Cycles gauge worked great for about 10 minutes ... then it 'shot craps '..  gauge wont move offa zero... thats what i get for buying a JP Cycles gauge i guess... money down the drain .. back to HD for a gauge .. at least it will work formore than 10 minutes... used the russell braided line too, as the JP oil line is reallly reallly cheap

MrVee1950

• Wed, Oct 17 2018 9:54 PM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

in addition on the gauge.. took it all apart  and reassembled everything .. and it WORKS... however, i dont feel it works pro[perly.. i have owned about a dozen TC WideGlides and a few touring TCs as well.. and when cold every TC i have ever owned pumped about 30psi OilPressure when cold ... , after warming a bit usually dropped down to about 10.. when extremely hot , would idle abvout 5psi.. well this gauge is running about 8 - 12psi high...  so i guess i will just make that adjustment and keep the gauge tol i find another.. Just Sayin..

MrVee1950

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)