J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Thu, Nov 8 2018 8:49 AM by FX. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 28 2018 9:48 AM

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 9 2018
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

Rear Brake Pedal on 99 Dyna

Another project on the 99 Dyna (FXDWG).. I noticed when riding the bike that there was quite a bit of movement in the Rr Brake Pedal, before the brake  stated to work..  I installed a 2" extended Forward Controls Kit, ( thinking that makeing an adjustment in the Rr Brake Rod might take up some of the play in the pedal ) Well there isnt that much adjustment with the Rod.. ( there wouldnt have been much in the standard Rod either )..  the Pads look good ( bike only had 8400 miles ) was wondering if there are any other ' adjustment to get less play ( more pedal ) on the Rr Brake ???  OR would Bleeding the rear brake bring back more Pedal ??   Any help on this would be greatly appreciated...  

MrVee1950

I'm older now but still runnin' against the wind... (b.seger 1980)

• Mon, Oct 29 2018 6:13 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,210

Re: Rear Brake Pedal on 99 Dyna

Tom, It may have old contaminated fluid in it. I would bleed new brake fluid through it (front, and rear), and see if that helps. This should be done periodicaly on bikes, and cars. Very few people do this...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Mon, Oct 29 2018 8:27 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,670

Tom - yes, try bleeding it first. 

If that doesn't work you may have to rebuild it.  Since the bike sat for a while, there may be corrosion or dirt between the dirt shield and the rubber piston ring which is forcing the piston to return more than it needs to once you let off the brakes. 

If you need to go this route, when you pull the dust shield off, check to see if the rubber piston ring is stuck to the caliper - you may be able to get by with just compressing the piston in the caliper (and not damage the rubber ring) then re-bleeding.

Hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Mon, Oct 29 2018 8:59 AM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

Thanks.. Kinda figured on Bleeding the system after doing a little research.. watched a coupla U-Tube videos and read thru the procudure in the Service Manual.  Bought a bottle of the specified Fluid for that that bike ( DOT 5 ) and gonna bleed the whole system this morning .. thanks to  you both , for checkin in...  it is great to have a Forum like this, to recieve information, tech tips and 'how to;s  !  I been ridin my whole life , but since retiring some years ago... have more time to wrench on things myself and not have to PAY for some things that dont require specilized tools or knowledge to get things done on my bikes..   thanks again  

MrVee1950

• Mon, Oct 29 2018 9:25 AM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

will letcha both know what the outcome of the brake pedal is after  'bleeding ' the system...   thanks again ..

MrVee1950

• Mon, Oct 29 2018 4:21 PM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

TO: FX and Ironhead..

UpDate on the Brake Pedal issue....   long story SHORT version : Affter bleeding the Rear Brake, the bike now has a ' Perfect Pedal '  about an inch of freeplay then a good sturdy firm brake.   Details: the old ( DOT 5 ? ) fluid that was bled out wasa very cloudy murky yellowish color.. DOT 5 ( which is the specific fluid required for that bike ) is a very clear , light purple...   So, either that fluid has been in the system for almost 20 years OR it was the right fluid to start with ... maybe a combination of both ... who knows ?? Anyway, I kept ' bleeding' until i had the lt. purple fluid coming out of the 'bleeder valve' ... and i ended up with a firm pedal with no fading or spongy feel... thats all it took...  

thanks for the help AND the suggestions  

MrVee1950

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 5:43 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,210

Ya done good Tom. Yes, that may have been the original fluid. Very few people know to change it periodicaly. you did the front too, right?

FX

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 9:30 AM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

gonna do the front today...  the front feels fine and the pads look new, but, .. the crud that came outta the rear makes me wonder if there is the same kinda crud in the front.. so, YES ! , gonna change the front as well...  the next project is switching out the handlebars, which is going to require allotta cutting and soldering as these Fat Drag Bars are 'wire in',,,,  i am going with the Chrome Stock Bend bar for the WideGlide, which are NOT made for internal wiring...  I have made this switch before ... it is just time consuming and very tedious work with cutting, measureing, soldering, shrink wrapping and then wrapping the completed wireing...  making sure everything is tie wrapped and follows the bends of the bars in a neat orderly fashion...  

thanks for your help 

MrVee1950

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 11:35 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 2,670

Tom - have you tried checking with "customer service" to see if they have (have available) a stock styled bar that is set up for internal wiring?  might save a number of steps?

• Wed, Oct 31 2018 12:00 AM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

well,Ironhead... 

i  checked out a few different options,   but, i was still going to have to add about 6 " to each wire , besides, the other bars were way outta my price range for bars..  thanks for the suggestion, anyway...

MrVee1950

• Mon, Nov 5 2018 11:46 PM In reply to

• MrVee1950
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Loveland, CO
    • Posts 28

ohhhh FX... just to followup on the brake issue.. the front was a filthy murky yellowish , too...  not anymore , tho ...  totally bled out all that crap and now have a beautiful clear lt. purple ( DOT 5 ) in the whole system... Front AND Rear

MrVee1950

• Tue, Nov 6 2018 3:42 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 2,670

That's good Tom - now you can be like Yosimitie Sam: "when I say whow I mean WHOW"

• Thu, Nov 8 2018 8:49 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,210

Very good Tom. Like I said, most people overlook bleeding new brake fluid through...I would recommend every 10k or so...

FX

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)