J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sun, Mar 30 2003 10:34 AM by ratikkiab. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 25 2003 10:22 AM

Twin Cam Oil Drain Plug

Where is the oil drain plug located for a 2000 Twin Cam 88> Thank you It is a 2000 RoadKing Edited by - cozmikcowboy on 3/25/03 12:53 PM
  • Tue, Mar 25 2003 10:31 AM In reply to

Re: Twin Cam Oil Drain Plug

On my 2000 low rider its on the side of the oil pan underneath between the frame rails.
  • Tue, Mar 25 2003 12:03 PM In reply to

We need to know which model you have.
  • Tue, Mar 25 2003 2:41 PM In reply to

• apes
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 25 2003
    • Posts 115

I have a 2002 FLSTCI and have a plug under the oil tank next to the frame rail and I have a plug on the bottom of the engine...the book only mentions the one under the oil tank but there is no mention of the one on the bottom of the engine....what is the one on the bottom of the engine for. I know this seem like a basic questions but all my other bikes drained from the crank case and didn't have an oil tank as do my cars...thanks AP
  • Tue, Mar 25 2003 3:23 PM In reply to

• apes
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 115

I'm not sure what the plug on the bottom of the engine is for. Harleys have a dry sump oil system. The oil is stored either in a tank or an oil pan on the bottom of the transmission depending on which model you have. In a dry sump system one section of the oil pump pulls the oil from the bottom of the crankcase and sends it to the oil pan and another section that pumps oil from the tank to the engine. Your car and most other bikes have a wet sump were the oil is stored in an oil pan on the bottom of the block and the pump has a pickup tube that picks up the oil and sends it to the engines vital parts. Gravity returns it to the pan. Edited by - Big Mike on 3/25/03 3:25 PM
  • Wed, Mar 26 2003 9:04 AM In reply to

• apes
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 115

I believe the other drain plg you see is to drain the tranny.
  • Wed, Mar 26 2003 2:04 PM In reply to

The drain plug you see on the bottom of the engine is there to drain any residule oil from the engine case and is generally only used when doing a repair that requires splitting the cases.There is no need to remove this plug otherwise. Bruce
  • Sun, Mar 30 2003 9:29 AM In reply to

2000 FLHP, the drain plug on mine is on the lower left front of the oil pan. Doug Edited by - dduncan180 on 3/30/03 9:30 AM
  • Sun, Mar 30 2003 10:34 AM In reply to

The drain plug on a 2000 Softail/Heritage/Duece is underneith the frame. There is a hose that comes from the bottom of oil tank and runs down by swing arm. If you look under on the right hand side below the exhaust its in the frame. It is a hex screw and it is recessed.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)