J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Jul 22 2003 12:39 PM by bvaughan. 38 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 11 2003 2:51 AM In reply to

Re: REVTEC TEARDOWN

Guys, thanks for the info on the Indian engine origin! I'll let my riding buddy know.
  • Fri, Jul 11 2003 6:03 AM In reply to

• zwilde
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 16 2003
    • Posts 45

Horse...A LOT of builders are using them....The majors are comp'ed so the motors are seen in their bikes...The others because of the warrenty...Once it is out the door..It is not their problem anymore no matter what happens...It is not, "I'm gonna put the cheapest motor available in my 25K bike" And from the sounds of things..their marketing is working. Glad it aint airplanes.
  • Fri, Jul 11 2003 6:35 PM In reply to

• zwilde
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 45

Hey Guys.....that was a good stuff. I liked it better than the last Die Hard movie. Thanks for the entertainment.
  • Mon, Jul 14 2003 12:31 AM In reply to

• zwilde
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 45

z wilde you paid 25 k for your bike ? for that price they shouldnt use the lowest priced engine, but should install the most expensive they could find. thats a lot of dough im working on my second complete custom and i think il come in at that 25 k figure
  • Mon, Jul 14 2003 10:30 AM In reply to

I was wondering why so many sent me links to this thread. First off, the Revtech design was devised by one guy, Matt Negarbohn. He worked for CCI for 20 yrs and started the motor design section in 1995. His baby was taken away from him and given to the Koreans at Global Motorsports, he quit after that. The ONLY original specs kept by the Korean engineers was the bore and stroke, the rest was changed per cost, I still have a set of original prints. Global sent 3 motors over here in 1999 to be tested by some experts. One wouldn't fit in a stock frame(bad rear mount), one siezed pistons immediately, one was just disassembled and inspected. The inspection came up with 19 casting flaws, 22 hardness problems and a few other little things. Within 5 months CCI was giving them away to builders and selling them to the unsuspecting. I have 2 in my dyno room and wouldn't sell them to the worst of my enemies. Global used the public to do their delta testing, not unheard of but detestable to some. Being mostly unrebuildable, this motor has to depend on marketing and ignorance to be sold. Next, the Indian motor. In 1999, IMC hired Matt and one other from CCI to start their motor project. I helped Matt with the top end. Matt was fired in 2001 due to emotional problems caused by a divorce. When Audax bought into IMC, all hell broke loose. I called the problem the proverbial 'too many chiefs and too few indians'. That motor was designed bullitproof untill the bean crunchers got ahold of it. I had piston oilers and a different chamber design on the prints I gave them and they were crunhed for cost. The PP100 is still a good motor, just have to fatten it up and unrestrict the air flow. Most of it is manufactured in the USA and is totally assembled in Livonia, Michigan by a division of Roush Industries, Performance Assembly Solutions, the assemblers of the GM 502-572" monsters.
  • Mon, Jul 14 2003 11:57 AM In reply to

pan man have the koreans changed or improved the design changed any flaws at all etc. thanks in advance
  • Mon, Jul 14 2003 1:18 PM In reply to

The hardness problem of the shafts, mounts, some porosity problems, and piston problems have been addressed, I think. All thats left is the proprietary, Korean problems. lol
  • Mon, Jul 14 2003 2:17 PM In reply to

Panmankb, your comments regarding the internal problems with the earlier RevTecs matched my guys to the letter. I can't find a better deal online for the kit, in any case, I would rather buy locally pay the $500 for the motor teardown and then have somebody to guide and check my assembly on some of the more challenging parts of the kit. Has anybody put together the CCI Hard Core chopper kit????????? Thanks to all who responded.
  • Mon, Jul 14 2003 2:44 PM In reply to

WOOFS, if price is the greater motivator, look at the Ultima motors by Mid West cycle. They are shameful knockoffs of everybody elses stuff but of OK quality and low price.
  • Mon, Jul 14 2003 4:42 PM In reply to

It still baffles me as to why you would buy a new motor and then pay $500 to "make it right"?? Why don't you see if you can buy the CCI kit minus motor and put the $500 towards something you can trust?? Hell, for that matter buy the kit minus motor and go buy a stock EVO motor from the MoCo, in reality you'll have just as much or more motor for less than $3000. Tom
  • Thu, Jul 17 2003 7:38 AM In reply to

I have to agree with Hawg and Tom, bag that Rev-Tec and go with a stock EVO, or the S&S if you need a stroker. You are about to learn the hard way about "kit bikes". Unless screwing around trying to get pieces to fit is more fun to you than riding, go buy a bike. In the long haul you will find out its cheeper and better.
  • Thu, Jul 17 2003 7:45 AM In reply to

PS. You are about to buy a brand new engine and then have some guy tear it apart. What ever. Now what kind of warrenty do you have? Save your $500.00 bucks. What if the tolerances are wrong? Are you going to spend more money having this guy replace the parts, or send it back to Rev-Tec in a basket? Good luck.
  • Thu, Jul 17 2003 3:46 PM In reply to

WHITIE,thats all i said to begin with
  • Thu, Jul 17 2003 3:59 PM In reply to

WHITIE,thats all i said to begin with
  • Tue, Jul 22 2003 12:39 PM In reply to

• bvaughan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 22 2003
    • Posts 1

I'm running my first RevTech. Problem free so far and yes, it's fast. Just wanted to say ALL motors can and do fail. S&S is just down the road from me here in Wisconsin and I've toured the plant. I asked the question about warranty work, returns and complaints and was given what I believe was an honest answer. I was told that they (S&S) continously work on improvements, but quality issues do occur from time to time, and that they believe response to those problems are the key to satisfaction. Sounds like the same for Revtech, except that Revtech has a better warranty. I chose the "Revvy". Run what you want. I wouldn't give $500.00 for someone to go through ANY motor that wasn't fried or sitting in a pool of oil on the garage floor.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2