J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Feb 13 2018 4:41 AM by Ironhead. 46 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 17 2003 1:26 PM

DRAGON MAN IS A DIRTBAG

Many would not believe the trouble I’ve had with Dragon Man. I had a 1978 Shovelhead motor that I sent out there. The motor was blown up so I was going to have the heads rebuilt, the jugs cleaned up, and the cases repaired. In addition to that I was going to have external oil lines, dual plugs, compression releases, heli-coil the spark plug holes and sell me an S&S billet oil pump. I got a call from him and he said that the cases I sent him could not be repaired but for a little extra money he could put me in Delkron cases. I said OK. He told me that the jugs were already punched out and pretty rough but for a couple dollars more he could get me into a big bore kit. I said OK. When I received the engine it looked OK to me, although the oil pump didn’t look new. (keep this in mind for later). We assembled the engine, as I had it shipped in 3 parts; bottom end, jugs and pistons, and heads to make shipping easier. I did notice that some of the work I wanted him to perform was not done, but, since I wasn’t charged for it I didn’t complain. There were no external oil lines, no compression releases, and he never repaired the damaged spark plug hole in one of the heads. While putting the motor together I noticed that the rear oil return hole (which was installed by Dragon Precision Machining) did not line up with the gasket and also did not line up with the cylinder. As far as I can tell from measurements I took, the hole was off by over .100. I cut the gasket a bit and went ahead with the rebuild. Upon starting the motor up the oil pressure went through the roof and blew up my pressure gage. I thought the gage was faulty and then promptly blew up another one. Two more after that and we removed the oil pump. Luckily I had taken photos of the motor before I sent it. And from those photos I deduced that I had not received a new oil pump, but got mine back sandblasted clean. My oil pump was an early model that did not have the crankcase vent up behind the tower. The Delkron cases could not vent the pressure. I called him up and he practically called me a liar. When I told him I had photos of the old oil pump (because I took pictures of everything before and after the project) and I could prove without any doubt it was my old pump he said he would send me one (which he did, it’s a nice pump). Now we started the bike. It smoked a lot but we figured that everything had to seat. Well… After almost 1000 miles it smokes so much now the bike looks like it is on fire riding it down the street. I foul plugs in 50 miles. So we tore the motor down. I know several very knowledgeable shovelhead guys and had them over for a look-see. The pistons are scored on two sides. The heads are full of oil, there is all kinds of slop (and I don’t mean play) in the connecting rods at the flywheel and in the pistons. We determined that the hole mismatch between the cases and the rear cylinder probably caused oil to pool in the heads and flow through the valve guides into the combustion chamber, which most likely helped cause the smoke. We haven’t gotten to tear the heads down, but from all the oil we figure either he just sand blasted the head and sent them back to me cleaned up, or they just threw them together with absolutely no concern for tolerances of valve guides. I called Delkron which is the manufacturer of the engine cases and they told me that the oil return holes in the engine case were not put in by them. They were put in by Dragon Machining to accommodate the big-bore cylinder kit that he installed. I called him and told him the engine was a mess and the piston were scored and it was smoking like it was on fire. He replied that I must have run it without oil. I told him that I had pressure gages and clear oil lines and I can assure him that there was oil. The he said that I must have over heated the engine. I told him that in all the time the engine was run the thermometer never went over 180 degrees. Then he said that I over-revved the engine. I told him the engine never went over 2500 RPM since it was first run. He then said to send the motor to him so he could tear it apart to see if anything I did caused the engine to fail. I told him that he must think I’m an idiot, as he just insinuated on the phone that it was my fault. And I didn’t see any point in spending $280 to ship the motor to him just so he could tell me that it was my fault again. Then he said this, “Well if we go to court I will bring experts and printed material and we will win, now I have to go back to work.” Then he hung up on me. I haven’t worked in almost 5 months now and I don’t have the money to fight this guy.
  • Wed, Sep 17 2003 1:34 PM In reply to

Re: DRAGON MAN IS A DIRTBAG

You should call the BBB in the area where he is located. If they get a lot of complaints they'll look into his business practices. It's not much condolence and it won't get you your money back but it's better than doing nothing.
  • Wed, Sep 17 2003 4:56 PM In reply to

If you are absolutely positive that you're right, you can file a "small claims" in your court system against him. This is something that is quick, relatively inexpensive and gets a decision that day. If you/he are in different states then you have a jurisdictional problem but if you're in the same state,,,go for it. You can check with your local city gov to see what the limits are. Here in Louisiana the limit is $2000 and as they say "it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick". Go get his ass! I can't speak for the rest of us but I know I'm sick of the dealers and so called experts pulling excuses out of their ass for their incompetence. Damn that felt good,,,
  • Wed, Sep 17 2003 10:09 PM In reply to

Hey Guys- I've never heard of this dude in my life. Unfortunatly, there are probably thousands of others out there that haven't heard of his reputation either. I think we need to make it a point to trash him on every biker forum that we can find. Especially since there are so many new bikers out there now that probably haven't heard of him either. If this guy is doing shit like this, we have to do all we can to keep another bro from falling into his trap. Maybe we can put him out of business or at the very least, end his mail order business. It sounds like that is where he is doing his worst damage. Please post some more details like his location, business name, web site, etc. Tinner
  • Thu, Sep 18 2003 8:49 AM In reply to

I think this guy advertises allot of Sportster work. It may be the same guy I looked at in my favorite magazine for punching out an 883. If it is the same guy make sure that the guys over in the Sportster Lounge hear about this doush.
  • Thu, Sep 18 2003 2:16 PM In reply to

PAY HIM A VISIT. thats what i would do, you say your not working. go there and make a beleiver outta the bitch.
  • Thu, Sep 18 2003 5:11 PM In reply to

• ajy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 7 2002
    • Posts 510

hey guys: I found a website about Dragon Man. It appears that screwing over bikers is just a sideshow "hobby" of his. He's got a huge (and I mean HUGE) military museum with military vehicles, guns and memorabilia that makes the Smithsonian collection look like a small booth at a gunshow! The guy must have a mountain of money to be able to afford that. The website speaks very highly of this guy. (BTW, his name is spelled Weinstein) Check it out, log onto: http://www.blumagnum.com/dragonman.htm
  • Thu, Sep 18 2003 5:13 PM In reply to

• ajy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 7 2002
    • Posts 510

...whoops, I meant Bernstein...
  • Thu, Sep 18 2003 7:20 PM In reply to

Yes, that looks like quite a collection he's got there. Looks to me like this guy got wacked in the head a few to many times. Collecting is one thing, this guy looks kind of eccentric.
  • Sun, Sep 21 2003 10:33 AM In reply to

About once every year there is a posting on here or another website about the crap work he puts out, but I have never seen a reply from him defending his workmanship. I live in his area and was aware that he has a gun shop, paint ball field, gun range and a military museum but I do not recall ever seeing advertisments of his machine shop?????
  • Sun, Sep 21 2003 12:46 PM In reply to

From the sounds of it he might not have one.
  • Mon, Sep 22 2003 7:51 AM In reply to

• Moon
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2003
    • Posts 820

Hearing this kind of stuff sucks. Being from the fondle it school I do only very little mail order business. Kind of late for Richard, but for others I'd suggest that you talk around, walk around and look around before you have any work done on high dollar hardware. There are many excellent wrenches across the country, some in little rathole garages but that doesn't necessarily diminish the quality of their work. Guys like this could use the business and since they have no cover to hide behind there rep is important to them. The Dragonman obviously subsidizes his bike shop with money from his other enterprizes, I doubt he could survive on bike work alone if he's that bad. Do what you can to burn him, but be aware that he may be otherwise respected in his community and his high tax dollars may preclude getting any action from the state or local govs. Find a good wrench word of mouth from people you know, give him your business and let the mail order rip-offs dry up. Moon Edited by - Moon on 9/22/03 2:07 PM
  • Thu, Oct 2 2003 10:14 PM In reply to

• LRL961
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 8 2002
    • Posts 88

Sorry to hear of your ripoff. You may have lost out on this raw deal, but due to the wide audience this website reaches, he has lost out worse. Folks like me out here who've never heard of the dude one way or another have now gotten the lowdown on this guy and will not throw him ANY business. HIS loss, everyone else's gain. Support hometown shops ya'll. Lou (FTF)
  • Sun, Apr 15 2007 6:38 AM In reply to

• 14EEEE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 25 2008
    • Posts 468

Bump. I was looking for another topic and found this oldie. since I almost sent my heads to him a year ago, I thought this would be good to read for anyone thinking about dealing with him. Sorry to bring up such an old post.
  • Sun, Apr 15 2007 8:46 AM In reply to

Sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot that you can do. The Attorney General won't help you any. They just send a letter to the guy saying that he did ya' wrong and should make good. I know this from first hand experience. Got ripped off for on a belt drive that I bought from a guy in Phoenix that goes by the name Motorhalla. I sent him a money order for the drive which he cashed and then never sent the drive. I've gone through the Attorney General in my state and then Arizona. I've checked with lawyers and noone wants to do anything. Gets pretty frustrating after a while. I've got the guy dead to rights and noone cares. Maybe I'll take a ride with my "little friend" and pay this numbnuts a visit. Anyone know a good bailbondsman? LOL Ride safe, Gary

Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >