J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Jan 3 2006 9:09 AM by tankshift. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 1 2006 10:17 AM

Ramjett Retainer and clutch hub bearings

I'm switching to a 5 finger clutch on my 4 speed shovel and wanted to use the Ramjett I bought for the 3 finger and had not installed yet. I know that it says for 3 finger only, but I seen a lot of threads of peaple using on a 5 finger. Any special mods required and do you need to get 2 extra "C" clips? Also anyone have problems using the long bearings vs the stock duel staggered row? JP Catalog says may need to hone the hub, wanted to see if this was CYA or if was required. Thanks for the help 80/80 FXS Scottymac

• Sun, Jan 1 2006 10:19 AM In reply to

Re: Ramjett Retainer and clutch hub bearings

It's true on the potential need to hone the hub to fit. I got the roller bearing kit years ago for my pan, but never got them installed because they are slightly oversized, thus the need to hone to fit. I believe the results would be worth the effort, however.

• Sun, Jan 1 2006 2:38 PM In reply to

• 93inriche
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 15 2005
    • SAN FRANCISCO
    • Posts 26

RIVERA PRO CLUTCH IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO, I LOVE IT. & SEE http://www.shovelhead.us/ Jakaroo's Shovelhead USa - Harley Shovelhead Source - tech tips, pictures and more!
  • Sun, Jan 1 2006 4:24 PM In reply to

• MontanaBF
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 7 2005
    • Pacific Northwest
    • Posts 241

Scottymac, if you get it done, please post your results. I have five finger and am looking at my old ramjett to put in. I don't need to get in there right now, but would like to know for the next time I open it up.

• Sun, Jan 1 2006 5:51 PM In reply to

Big, while I'm at it I'm installing the new clutch releasing disc 610-0035 as you recommended in earler post. My question is on the inital adjustment is the Measurement from the releasing disc and pressure plate still 1 1/32". Edited by scottymac on 1/1/2006 5:53:05 PM

• Sun, Jan 1 2006 6:00 PM In reply to

Looked at the Pro clutch and for a pritty much stock engine I can't see spending $560.00. If for about $100. I can get a good reliable setup, that will get me for now. Thanks for the recommendation richie.

• Sun, Jan 1 2006 7:51 PM In reply to

scottymac, I seem to remember that as being 31/32".

• Mon, Jan 2 2006 7:46 AM In reply to

That's what the pan manual says,31/32"I've had twosets of the long roller bearings on a 49 and a 51 with no honeing neccisary. The c clips just hold the retainer in place untill the disks go in, three would be fine. It would be nice if the same grease the big fix comes with were available for future re-lubing,I've had problems with regular grease drying out,or being slung into the basket.Synthetic wasn't any beter...MW
  • Mon, Jan 2 2006 10:08 AM In reply to

scottymac, what's that part number again?

• Mon, Jan 2 2006 11:14 AM In reply to

Big, that part number is 6100035 page 601 new catalog. But now that you have questioned it, I looked at the OEM part number that it was supposed to replace and it dosent match up. It replaces OEM 37805-83T and I have 37871-41 per orginal part manual. Any ideas or steve question for tommorrow? Still wondering where on this setup would you measure from, bottem of pressure to top of releasing disc, bottom to bottom, or spring depth ( springs are recessed in new releasing disc). I maybe looking to deep, but on orginal it was more streight forward. Thanks Scottymac Edited by scottymac on 1/2/2006 11:23:35 AM

• Tue, Jan 3 2006 12:33 AM In reply to

You can run a 5 finger with a ram-jet You can use only 2 c clips, or you can drill the third one to proper depth to get the clip on. I ran mine for a whole season with 2 clips, and when I had to change a tranny seal I did drill the third one on the disk to put the clip on only because I had extra time on my hands waiting for a part
  • Tue, Jan 3 2006 9:09 AM In reply to

I run a 4 speed with the 5 finger set up. Switched from the 3 finger a few years ago, I used the same ram jet retainer, I went ahead and put c -clips on all five. The 31/32 is just a starting point reference, you really set it up to how much pressure you want to ride at, for instance, more spring pressure if you like to romp on the throttle and not have any slippage.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)