J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Feb 21 2006 11:24 AM by tankshift. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 20 2006 9:14 PM

Ramjet retainer

Installed the big clutch fix of a ramjet, 5 finger hub and long roller bearings and was wondering if the primary oil can still get to the bearings. The ramjet seals the rollers pritty well. Can't beleave that the little bit of grease at install would be enough to last. So do you need grease these bearings now? What do ya think?

• Mon, Feb 20 2006 9:27 PM In reply to

Re: Ramjet retainer

Don't grease them. The grease will get on the frictions and cause grabbing.

• Mon, Feb 20 2006 10:36 PM In reply to

Scottymack, thats the problem with the big fix...you have to take it apart once a year to relube. and where do you get that special grease? I've tried silicone grease, that dries out too fast, steering head grease, that leaks out when it gets hot,wheel bearing grease, also slings all over the clutch disks. It would be nice to have a zerk fitting on the shell but that's where the primary chain rides. So what is the answer? Whats the question again?..MW
  • Tue, Feb 21 2006 8:18 AM In reply to

Well that's one for and one against, I guess I'll just take it back apart in a couple of months and see whats what. Anybody had problems with bearing wear after installing the retainer?

• Tue, Feb 21 2006 11:24 AM In reply to

I have not had any problems. Ran mine for quite a few years now. Each time I have done a tear down inspection, there has always been grease still around the bearing. Figure out how much grease to pack, and you won't have grease slung all over the place OR contaminating your disc. I use just enough to hold the rollers in the cage, and then I wipe off most that squeezes out around the bearing when installed on the hub.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)