J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Thu, Jul 6 2006 8:42 AM by sfranta. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 5 2006 11:40 AM

• Rilo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 16 2004
    • Posts 73

Road King squeaky brakes

I've been doing some research to find ways to stop the squeaky front brakes on my 2005 RK. I can clean up the rotors and it stops for a short time, but comes right back. Squeaks only when front brake is not applied...touch the lever and it stops. I've heard to bevel the edges of the pads...but heard that doesn't work too. The only solution I haven't heard disputed is to replace my rotors with floating rotors but a little tight on the $$ rifht now, but tired of the squeak.
  • Wed, Jul 5 2006 11:56 AM In reply to

Re: Road King squeaky brakes

what's happening, is that when the brake is not applied, it makes light contact with the rotor, which is expected, and normal. either there is a hard spot on the pad, which is acting like a fingernail on the chalk board, or on the pad's steel backing, there is something rubbing on the caliper when the pad is moved ever so slightly by the rotor. take the pads out, and with a very fine sandpaper, like 600 grit, lightly sand the surface of the pad that contacts the rotor, at a 90 degree angle to the rotor's rotation. you can bevel the lieading edge slightly if you wish. then, using dow corning valve lube [comes in a green tube, it''s a heavy, silicone based high temp lube] or dynatex 49593 which is basically the same stuff, apply a light coat of this to the back of the pad backing, and anywhere on the pad backing that contacts the caliper, and any moving part, taking care not to get any on the pad or rotor themselves. most times that will cure any squeak. if the rotor runout is out of spec, or there is a seriously hard spot in one of the pads, it may not cure it, then it'll be time for a brake job

• Wed, Jul 5 2006 2:09 PM In reply to

• Rilo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 16 2004
    • Posts 73

Thanks Steve! I'll give your advice a shot and may take to the dealership too if still a problem since it's still under warranty. I had a 98 RK and the brakes occasionally squeaked on it when applied, but not when just going down the road. It is an annoying thing!
  • Wed, Jul 5 2006 8:51 PM In reply to

My '04 Roadking Custom had the same "squealing pig" front brake problem. I replaced the pads with JP # 240-710, along with a set of Metzeler 880's. Squeal is but a bad memory. Tires are big improvement over the Dunlops.
  • Thu, Jul 6 2006 8:42 AM In reply to

yep, 240-710 are softer than the stock sintered pads, and a lot quieter

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)