J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Jan 17 2007 10:22 PM by dropper41. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 15 2007 1:39 AM

stock rake of 03 FXDWG trees

I currently have the Harley billet chrome triple trees. The Harley parts book states that this part will reduce rake by 1.5 degrees. I've been told that it's a zero degree, and that the stock tree is +1.5 ..........true or false?????
  • Mon, Jan 15 2007 8:57 AM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2004
    • Posts 5,074
    • Guest Moderator
      Staff

Re: stock rake of 03 FXDWG trees

Chev406, I don't really know what your reference to "0 degree" and "1.5 degree are about, but the '03 Wide Glides have a 32 degree rake on the frame (along with the FXDL). All the other models frames have a 28 degree rake. So, installing a front fork with 1.5 degrees less rake will put your overall rake at 30.5 degrees...

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death......

• Mon, Jan 15 2007 5:43 PM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 5,074
    • Guest Moderator
      Staff

I would also like to add that beings the bike was not designed for less rake it may give you a handling problem especially at high speeds.. correct me if i`m wrong..

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death......

• Mon, Jan 15 2007 8:14 PM In reply to

hdmotorman60, looks like many of the aftermarket trees are used to alter rake without changing anything else. sgalatolo, +/- 1.5 degrees aint gonna make that much difference when everything else is stock. It's a genuine Harley part installed by Harley, so I don't think they would risk an ill handling bike.
  • Mon, Jan 15 2007 9:53 PM In reply to

actually any change in rake via triple tree's is a bad idea, and always has been. Regardless of whether you do the install or someone else does.
  • Tue, Jan 16 2007 12:50 AM In reply to

That's why I'm trying to go back to STOCK, and need to know what STOCK trees rake is!!!!! Like I said, I've been told STOCK wideglide trees have a 1.5 rake......................true or false?????? anyone know??????
  • Tue, Jan 16 2007 4:09 AM In reply to

would wait for verification but im pretty sure those come stock with stock 0 degree trees.
  • Tue, Jan 16 2007 7:06 AM In reply to

I don't think there is any rake in the trees for HD. The rake angle is built in the neck of the frame. There is a company that can provide rake trees and extended forks without screwing up the geometry, seeger has an ad in AIM and AIM also did an install in the latest issue on a sporty.
  • Tue, Jan 16 2007 8:02 AM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 5,074
    • Guest Moderator
      Staff

As far as I am aware, the only OEM forks that have any rake built into them are the Springer forks.......

• Wed, Jan 17 2007 7:57 AM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 5,074
    • Guest Moderator
      Staff

I do know that some of the fxst trees's had 3 degree trees on them. I'm not usre of what here but it was for sure in the evo era. Not sure about the other models, but I do know for sure that I have removed stock trees and they were raked.

• Wed, Jan 17 2007 7:42 PM In reply to

I searched the achives and found other references that Harley FXDWG trees have 3 degrees in them. Let's say I buy this part below, or maybe one of the other two. Will it change the STOCK 32 degree rake of a 2003 DYNA wide glide???????? Anyway to find out?????? Thanks, Guys!!!! http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=BAD91264-7C0F-4236-AE6F-1A0DD541FB06&brand=milwaukeetwins http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=FC101D58-B2C7-4295-9343-05CC762C112D http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=1119DE92-7A5A-43C8-B8EC-4594B3CD4DAD
  • Wed, Jan 17 2007 10:22 PM In reply to

I just chaged my 02 sporty front end with a wideglide triple tree 5 degree rake and my fork are 6" over stock 41mm, pushed the bike up a lil for me so I replaced tapner to 4" runs great.. Harley stock fxdwg is standard 32 degree. when yoy get triple tree with 3 or 5 or evne 10 degree you add that to stock
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)