J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Mar 13 2007 6:44 AM by superxdave. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 10 2007 6:24 PM

Ramjett Rocker Retainers

I just installed the rocker arm retainer kit on my shovel. Now I hear that the wavy washers come apart and destroy motors.Anyone else know of this? And if so, why are they still being sold. I've heard that HUNDREDS of riders have had this problem.Anyone know how to get hold of the RAM JETT people? This post is also meant to alert the staff of J&P to this problem also as I purchased this kit here. Edited by cpcurran on 3/10/2007 7:16:26 PM
  • Sat, Mar 10 2007 10:21 PM In reply to

Re: Ramjett Rocker Retainers

What you hear is true...not an exaggaration, not a rumor, not something "I heard"...but truth. I had that experience with them when they very first hit the market over two decades ago. I have personally had two other motors in my hands that experienced the same exact failure (not mine, I learned my lesson!) I have had countless folks come into my forums and share the same sad tale. It's not a matter of "if" they fail, it's a matter of "when". Those spring washers are under one heck of a load and their load surfaces do wear. When they wear enough, the washer will literally snap apart, in three equal size pieces. Any one of those pieces is just the right size to fit down the oil drain passage from the heads down through the barrel. If you're lucky, it'll simply get picked up by the flywheels and end up in your breather gear screen. If you're not lucky, it'll beat around the lower end a bit and a small part of that extremely hard spring washer will settle in your crank bearings, scoring your crank like you would never believe. Or it can end up actually lodging inside of the wrist pin, getting caught in there just as the wrist pin passes over the oil drain hole in the barrel wall...where it will bounce around a whole lot, wearing into the piston area where the pin retainer is, before it gets squeezed out between the piston and cylinder wall, scratching the hell outta' everything on the way down...and THEN scoring your crank. I don't care if anybody out there tells you "I've been running them for 5 years without one problem"...it's Russian roulette at its worse. They WILL fail. Period. Stick around...I'll guarantee you that some of the Shovel riding folks in here will tell you the same. I honestly don't know why those things are still on the market. They SUCK! Anyone want to see exactly what happens to these things? Here's a picture somebody sent me: http://www.virtual-cycles.com/hawgryder/Hawgstuff/wavywashers1.jpeg Edited by Hawg Ryder on 3/10/2007 10:23:28 PM
  • Sun, Mar 11 2007 9:01 AM In reply to

Yes, this is not hype. These shims do fail, and wreak havoc inside the engine. These are a poor-mans way of correcting the rocker arm end play. The way I would recommend approaching the problem is to have the rocker arm shafts machined down a little where the rocker arm butts up against the shaft when you torque down the shaft nut. If you put them together WITHOUT shims, and measure the end play, you can figure out how much material needs to be removed to achieve the proper end play. It's a bit time consuming, and a little more spendy, but the end result is that you get the end play you need without the worry of shredded metal running around in your enging tearing up bearings and such. And, once it's done, it's DONE......

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown 

• Sun, Mar 11 2007 9:45 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,240

Yes, I have also seen them fail. FX

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Sun, Mar 11 2007 2:01 PM In reply to

hey hdmotorman60........Why if it is known that these RAMJETT kits fail does J&P continue to sell them?? The time and work involved to install these things and then to have to remove them is obscene! Why not get a RAMJETT rep to address this problem in this forum??
  • Sun, Mar 11 2007 5:16 PM In reply to

• wkerner
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 3 2007
    • REdondo Beach Ca
    • Posts 294

I also bought this miracle cure. Fortunately I heard the horror stories before I buttoned up the top end on mine and I promptly removed them. This is a valid question though Motorman, If J+Ps Tech Guys agree that this kit is garbage, then get them the F*** out of the catalog and send your inventory back to sifton. There is a certain amount of trust that we weekend warriors place in J+P when we are searching for parts and components in your catalog since we have not had the luxury of having done dozens of builds like FX or Hawg. (among others) You have no idea how frustrating it can be to have spent dozens of hours and large quantities of money on an engine build and find out after you've finished the build that components you installed to solve a potential problem more than likely destroy your engine. Not good, not good at all.

• Mon, Mar 12 2007 8:02 AM In reply to

cpcurran, These little gems have been around since I can remember. They work (at least for a while), and again, they're the "easy" way out of incorrect rocker arm end play. Don't ask me why they're still made the same that they have always been. Bottom line is that a LOT of people like these and have had good results with them. I didn't mean to totally freak everyone out about this. Someone asked, and I gave an honest answer. I think making an informed decision is the first step to anything, and that's why we're (Tech Forum) here. Now you all have the information, and you can choose to do with it what you will....... PS: Also why I gave an alternative approach to the end play issue...... Edited for content........ Edited by hdmotorman60 on 3/12/2007 8:08:04 AM Edited by hdmotorman60 on 3/12/2007 8:10:15 AM

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown 

• Tue, Mar 13 2007 2:50 AM In reply to

Thanks Hawg Ryder! I didn't break anything but I did find the rest of the broken wavy washer in the rocker box after I pulled the head. Putting those things in my motor was I thought a good idea.It sounded so good in the catalog. These things could have cost me my motor,all for 25cents worth of shimstock. BEWARE OF THESE PIECES OF JUNK!!!!!!!!
  • Tue, Mar 13 2007 6:44 AM In reply to

I used 431-425 and 433-644 in different combinations to get my rocker shafts to have the correct end play. 4000 plus miles with no problems experienced yet.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)