J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sat, Aug 21 2004 6:27 PM by OldIronRider. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 15 2004 9:24 AM

82-84 FLH in 65 panhead

My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I want to turn a 82-84 FLH with rear belt into a reliable road worthy 65 panhead. Take the shovel out and put in the S&S panhead, 5 speed w'kicker, brakes that work. buddy seat, single fire ignition. Vintage looks with new reliable technology. The car hotrodders do it all the time. What am I missing with this idea other than the cost?
  • Sun, Aug 15 2004 10:29 PM In reply to

Re: 82-84 FLH in 65 panhead

You can do it, but I'd highly recommend getting that S&S Pan engine with the "generator/alternator" cases...so you can have the advantage of alternator electrics (a HUGE improvement over the generator) and you will also end up with a motor shaft that will align with the 5 speed (or even late model four speed) tranny (the generator bikes had two lengths of motor shafts, both shorter than the shafts after '70 and the tranny mainshafts are of varying lengths to match). Also, with that set up you can run your choice of primary covers, either aluminum with an electric start or early tin covers when using a special inner primary to match the alternator case. And you'll still get the look you want. It's an OK plan, don't let anyone tell you otherwise....all it takes is money ;-)
  • Mon, Aug 16 2004 10:00 AM In reply to

Hey Hawg, why do you sy that the alternator is a huge improvement over the generator? This is assuming a quality generator or alternator, not the old original 3 brush 6V system. Its true that an alternator puts out a lot more current, especially at low RPM, but then again it is a lot more sensitive to failure from heat, bad diodes, etc. It also has one very bad feature (any alternator) and that is it requires some voltage from a battery to function at all. A completely dead battery, and the alternator won't put out any current to start to re-charge the battery. A quality generator is actually less prone to failure, and doesn't care how it gets spun to put out energy. Of course, with an electric starter and a BIG electric start battery, then you probaly would need an alternator to make enough energy, but we don't use those push button starter things, do we?
  • Mon, Aug 16 2004 11:42 AM In reply to

if you're gonna run electric start, an alternator is a must, the generator just won't keep up with that starting system

• Mon, Aug 16 2004 12:18 PM In reply to

Being I'm trying to build a 65, the first year of the Electra-Glide I'll go with the Altnernator engine. Now all I need to find is a 83 FLH w/rear belt that was driven only on Sundays by a little old lady. (That, and the wife says I have to sell the old shovel I'm on first, before I can start another project)
  • Mon, Aug 16 2004 6:51 PM In reply to

• hair
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2004
    • Posts 689

old,you do know the first year electra-glide was a generator machine,right? just my opinion,Rev.
  • Mon, Aug 16 2004 7:13 PM In reply to

First year of the 12 volt system and push button starting. This bike I'm dreaming of building will look like a 65 panhead but have every modern piece of tech I can hide inside so that I can take it on many a long distance run. I'm looking to build a long distance reliable cruiser while maintaining the look of the best looking bike Harley ever built, the 65 Panhead.
  • Mon, Aug 16 2004 9:58 PM In reply to

Well, you know we used to ride our flatheads and knuckleheads cross country long before they invented all the modern stuff. It doesn't take high tech to be reliable. It just takes quality maintenance.
  • Mon, Aug 16 2004 11:49 PM In reply to

The one tried and true advantage of the alternator is simply this: absolutely NO moving parts that touch, no bearings or brushes to wear out, not ever. Not to mention a much more stable electrical source. I've run 6 volt generators, 12 volt generators, and alternators...I ain't saying a generator is bad, they are not...but I am saying that if I was gonna' build a "repro" like this man is speaking of, my first choice would be a set of generator cases that can run an alternator on the left. Besides, then I could install a completely gutted generator shell to hide my stash in ;-) Oh yeah, I almost forgot...while it's true that automotive alternators MUST have battery voltage to function, the HD alternator is a permanent magnet ac generator and it's not the same as the automotive alternators that use an electromagnetic field to get the ball rolling. Edited by - on 8/16/2004 11:55:15 PM
  • Tue, Aug 17 2004 12:09 PM In reply to

I like the idea about the dummy generator Hawg. Do those aftermarket generator cases really hide the entire alternator though? I hate the look of the modern cases. I was talking about more conventional alternators that do have bearing and lots of moving parts that touch, plus the more delicate electronic parts. When I put my knuck together I looked at those small alternators that can be installed in the place of the Generator, but are smaller. In the end, I couldn't find any advantage to using it, so went to a 12V generator. That small one also uses an electromagnet like most alternators do, so a dead battery would mean no alternator field. Permanent magnets weigh a lot more, but we use them in our generators anyway. Brushes really last a long, long time.
  • Tue, Aug 17 2004 1:14 PM In reply to

Look close at the primary on my Shovel, this is what it would look like as far as "hiding" the alternator goes...the tin inner primary covers it and 99% of folks riding today would never even notice. http://beta.virtual-cycles.com/hawgryder/hawgstuff/shovelprojectleft.jpg
  • Tue, Aug 17 2004 5:27 PM In reply to

• hair
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2004
    • Posts 689

old,I see where you are coming from,the old look and new ideas...have at it ,Bro,let us know how it works out for you,Later,Rev.
  • Wed, Aug 18 2004 10:29 AM In reply to

I think that's a sweet idea.... the new "evo technology in the old cases" engines are great. I was looking at one of the pandamoneom engines and was really impressed. Are you keeping the flh's sheet metal or are you replacing it with the 60's stuff. -JB
  • Wed, Aug 18 2004 11:54 AM In reply to

Ah, now I see what you mean Hawg. Nice looking Shovel by the way. Of course, with an open primary, that wouldn't work as well, but it looks perfect on your bike.
  • Wed, Aug 18 2004 3:06 PM In reply to

My plan on the sheet metal is to remove the trim from the 83 FLH and repaint with the earlier colors and add aftermarket trim pieces from the earlier period for the vintage look. I think I need custom pipes coming out from the Panhead and mounting to the frame but I want to go with the ribbed look anyway so hopefully that will work and not be too costly.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >