J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sat, Dec 30 2006 4:19 PM by TerribleTabo. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 29 2006 6:47 PM In reply to

Re: Vintage replica 1948 Panhead rolling chassis / kit from VTwin

nuklhd, How does you panhead handle? Do you have any problems keeping up with traffic? I stopped by the local custom motorcycle shop & they told me I might be dissappointed witht the panhead if I am used to riding a Ducati. I just wanted your opinion. I figure I can always ride my Ducati Monster 1000S when I want to go fast, but I was looking to get this old replica 1948 Panhead because of the style. I wanted to update it as much as possible, but I didn't really expect it to handle/perform like my Ducati. I just wanted a novelty bike that would be fun to cruise around, but be able to keep up with the flow of traffic. I really didn't expect it to be riding it past 80 too often, but it would be nice if I knew it could if I had to. Reliability was the other factor. I figure the new replica Panhead should be a little bit better then the old ones, especially if I throw in a new Panhead engine. They told me even the new Panhead looking engines were not too good. Not sure if they meant performance wise or reliabilty. I'm still a bit torn between getting this replica or the new Springer classic. Thanks again guys, I learn more here than I do reading a bunch of articles on the internet. :-)

• Fri, Dec 29 2006 9:33 PM In reply to

Springer Classic, hands down. After reading your last post, there is no question in my mind. Tell ya what-- stop by an HD dealer and see if you can test ride one. And if they give you a bunch of sh*t about it, then rent one for a day. Either way, you owe it to yourself to get an idea of what you're talking about before you plunk down 20 grand or so. And when you are riding that new-retro bike, consider that an original model is NOTHING at all like it.

• Fri, Dec 29 2006 9:34 PM In reply to

Check the JP catalog...plenty of "stock" style Softail frames to pick from...and close-to-stock style springers too. Heck, HD will sell you a springer if you've got to have an exact match.
  • Fri, Dec 29 2006 9:44 PM In reply to

Cool, that's a good idea. Yeah, I'm still costing things out for myself now. I don't want to pick one & then regret it, so I am seeing about both the replica & the springer classic. The Springer classis is a nice bike, so I feel weird pulling it apart to make a retro bike I want. If Harley does sell the frame & fork separately it would be much easier. This way I can take my time & slap a fuel injected engine in there later on. Maybe there are some aftermarket parts out there to make it look cosmetically like a retro engine? LOL OK, thanks again. I am almost done with the stupid questions...LOL

• Sat, Dec 30 2006 8:17 AM In reply to

• Trashz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 20 2004
    • Posts 967

You sound as though you have the time and money to do what you want. To me, to really "bond" with a bike, to have real pride, you do your own work. From the above posts you don't come across as one who normally does. With all that said, not a one of us on this board popped out of momma knowing it all much less the basics. If you want to attempt building your own go for it. Get the manuals, craftsman-up the tool box and have at it. Get stuck? There should be a few back yard wrenches that for a small if not reasonable buck or two will get you going again. It's aggravating, expensive, and seems a never-ending P.I.A. I've got a '56 I've had for years, and as frustrated as it's had me, I wouldn't trade for anything. The pride I feel to ride it somewhere and make it back is enormous. It never has failed to start a conversation.
  • Sat, Dec 30 2006 9:34 AM In reply to

My .02 here..........if your looking for a modern bike with a 48 look (but still a mile off) than as stated above.........but to me there is more to the 48..........no Kick?.....no Carb?......no foot clutch/tank shift?.....Buell/engine? sorry seems pointless .....I say this cause you put out a year your looking to copy......no disrespect ment...... ......my .02
  • Sat, Dec 30 2006 1:47 PM In reply to

Here is what this is all about. Great thread!! You have lots of experience talkin here. I have opinions on this subject but they have the expertise. Good luck if you go trial by fire. Keep us posted too, we all like a good thread with pictures on progress. Shad
  • Sat, Dec 30 2006 1:53 PM In reply to

None taken! :-) On the contrary, I appreciate all the comments because I can't make up my mind. I listen to people tell me about the merits of the Panhead & the Springer Classic & agree with them both! I realize and agree with all the merits of the original 1948 Panhead. I guess people have different reasons for liking things. I really like the proportions & frame of the original 1948 Panhead which reminds me of the old WLA. The engine was definately nice looking! For myself I would like a modern interpretation of the bike, which is what I'm going for. I originally wanted a WLA until I found out how slow they were, then I discovered the Panhead. After I looked into the replica Panhead, I was told about this Springer Classic. LOL Now, I'm just trying to decide between the two. I definately like the original panhead look better, but I would prefer the performance of the Springer Classic. Now I am wondering if it would be best to have a shop build the bike I want with the Springer Classic Frame & fork? Any $.02 comments are all welcome! BTW Happy New Year everyone!

• Sat, Dec 30 2006 2:23 PM In reply to

In my opinion, Custom bikes are just that custom to YOUR wants and desires. A shop could certainly do what you want but at a rather large expense you generally will NOT recover. If you go that way be prepared to keep the sled for a long time or take it in the shorts if you dont like the results. Doing it yourself will save the labor dollars involved and the same thing would apply. Such endeavors are, for lack of better terminology, "Labors of love" or "Journey's of experience". The Old sleds are NOT for everyone. From your recent post I would surmise that you may not be happy with the results of this endeavor as it may not meet your expectations. The older machines required much more attention than EVO's and TC's ever do. Most owners had to get intimate with thier bikes as they had more foibles than newer bikes. You cannot compare any of these designs to your Ducati as they are Worlds and decades apart. Even the new HD's are different riding machines than your Ducati. If you are looking for a little performance and style, I would go with the new Softail Springer and then, after some tweaking and saddle time, you can decide if you like the outcome without losing much value. Then should you decide you like what you had you can begin the process of building your custom bike. jmho Shad Edited by Shad01 on 12/30/2006 2:31:53 PM
  • Sat, Dec 30 2006 4:19 PM In reply to

Yes, that would be the most sensible thing for me to do. I guess bikes are like women. You have a perectly fine bike now and really don't need another one. You think you have her all figured out until you see her again, then her looks drive you crazy and you'll do anything to have her! That's the way it is with these freaking Panheads. I think it is totally illogical & irrational for me to pursue this crazy project until I see pictures of her again. LOL BTW I finally found a site that explained things to me & has the Panhead hybrid I would have been using if I were to go the replica route: Panhead Evo This is a hybrid engine made up from a) Evo Bottom end b) Shovel cylinders c) Panhead heads with pan rocker covers d)Panhead shape cam cover having the oil filter mount where the generator would have been located. A long chromed oil filter gives the impression of being a generator. The heads can be flowed and engine made in sizes from 80in to 103in and with various degrees of tune can produce up to 100BHP. It has the looks of a Panhead the greater efficiency from the Evo bottom end and later oil pump and alternator charging for use with modern and custom electrics. One can see from the picture that its retro looks could form the basis of a custom bike. Care has to be taken in selecting an exhaust pipe that will fit both engine and frame. Pan-Evo This is basically an Evo Engine with a) Pan shape cam cover to take the oil filter mounting b) Aftermarket Pan Shape rocker coverst that fit straight on to the Evo heads. http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=websearch&requestId=fb328e022beb7eb2&clickedItemRank=9&userQuery=modern+panhead+performance&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chopperresource.co.uk%2Fmy_uploads%2Fancillary%2FA%2520R%2520Harleyengines.pdf&title=Engines%2C+Engines+and+More+Engines&moduleId=stgD_matchingsites.jsp.M&clickedItemPageRanking=-11&clickedItemPage=3&clickedItemDescription=WebResults

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2