J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sat, Jul 12 2008 9:05 AM by Tony. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 24 2008 9:36 AM

turning a softtail into a bagger

any help
  • Tue, Jun 24 2008 9:51 AM In reply to

Re: turning a softtail into a bagger

How far do you want to go? There are hard bags and bat wing farings for softails. I have a MoCo windshield and willie & max bags on my Deluxe. Does that make it a bagger?

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 10:20 AM In reply to

well, you can't turn a softail into an FLHT style dresser, the frames and drive train are totally different. however, you can add dresser bags and fairings to a softail, we have the bag mounts and radio fairings to do it with

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 11:03 AM In reply to

• DAD42
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 29 2003
    • Posts 75

I picked up some 70's era hard bags at a swap and modified my heritage bag brackets to mount them. Good luck. JR

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 12:20 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, May 8 2008
    • Tonopah, Az
    • Posts 830
    • Guest Moderator

I threw some bags and the big Memphis shade on my 90 softail..fairly easy to do and I like the look...does that make it a bagger?

Don't forget to check out the Gold Club Benefits

SEO Help 

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 12:26 PM In reply to

Most softails come with bags and windshields so no, what you did does not make it a bagger. In my opinion which is just that, I don't think anybody should try and turn any softail into a bagger. As steve states, the frames and drive trains are different. If you want a bagger get one, don't deface a softail, thats a crime...
  • Tue, Jun 24 2008 5:57 PM In reply to

FLHTC RUUUUUUULLLLEEEEEZZZZZZZ!!!!

• Thu, Jul 10 2008 12:07 PM In reply to

• wings
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 26 2004
    • Posts 25

A friend has mounted fairing, hard bags and tour pac on his softail.  He had to do some fabrication on the mounts but it actually looks pretty good.

• Sat, Jul 12 2008 9:05 AM In reply to

• Tony
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 3 2005
    • Iowa
    • Posts 196
      Staff

I am in the middle of doing the same thing to a Softail right now.  I used part 840-097 to mount a set of 93 and later hard saddle bags from a dresser model.  Also going to use part 751-716 for the fairing.  I know that after doing this it does not make my Softail into a Bagger, but it gives it a similar effect.  And if anyone has ever compared the top heaviness of a bagger to that of a softail, you know that the softail is a little lighter which is nice for a smaller guy like me.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)