J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Thu, Jul 8 2010 11:23 AM by JeremyK. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 22 2010 4:43 PM

• mrgee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 22 2010
    • Posts 2

V Star 1100 valve noise

I read teh posting about someone having problems with valve noise in their V Star, so I wanted to take another shot at the problem with some (hopefully more) input. I recently had mine tuned up as well, but I had some minor tapping noise before I took it to the shop (local and privately owned) for a tune up and valve adjustment. I have 12k on it and never had the valves adjusted. The mechanic said he worked on it and tried several times to get the excessive ticking to quiet down. I understood what he meant when he said excessive ticking, for when I started it up it was very noisy. Since he could not get it adjusted to the point where it was without being out of specs, I decided to check online and probably go to another mechanic.

SO, my questions are; Is it possibly that i waited too long to get the valves adjusted and the tappets have put "dents" in or cupped the valve stems to the point of making it impossible to get a true "gapping" of the valve lash?

Is there possibly another problem with the engine other than valve lash, perhaps a problem of not getting enough oil to the tappets?

What is strange is that the engine is running so much stronger and smoother and yet it is making such a distubing sound.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input and feedback.

MRGee

• Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:24 PM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2004
    • Posts 4,839
      Staff

Re: V Star 1100 valve noise

You can turn the Shims over to get away from any wear spots. Cyber troubleshooting is difficult at best and I have no more input that would be intelligent.  Maybe some others can make offerings...

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death......

• Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:00 PM In reply to

• JeremyK
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 28 2009
    • Posts 57
      Staff

MRGee.. all though flipping the shims over is great advice..it doesnt really apply to your situation..the 12K miles you ran you bike most likely decreased your valve clearance causing them to be tight..after the adjustment, the spacing between your adjusting screw as increased the clearance and usually results in more noise (to a degree) obviouslly I cant hear your machine run and if your concerned you should def take it to someone who is qualified to work on it..Iam glad to hear the bike is running better..having the valves open and close at the correct time really helps performance.. its unlikely that the "stem" of the valve is damaged..take it to another mechanic and have him or her double check the work.. and make sure that this check is done with the bike having sat over night..these adjustment need to be done when the bike is cold..otherwise you will get in accurate measurement..oh and this bike doesnt use tappets.. it uses a camshaft to actuate a rocker arm..the rocker arms clearance to the top of the valve is adjusted via a screw and lock nut.. keep us posted

Jeremy

• Wed, Jul 7 2010 8:24 PM In reply to

• mrgee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 22 2010
    • Posts 2

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I took it to another mechanic and they were able to not only get it quieted down but running even better. Yeah, I know it doesn't have "tappets" but the 'old school' terminology is hard to kick for an old man.Smile

Thanks again

mrgee

• Thu, Jul 8 2010 11:23 AM In reply to

• JeremyK
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 28 2009
    • Posts 57
      Staff

mrgee: so what did they find? were the valves misadjusted?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)