J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:51 AM by Xea. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 15 2012 8:19 AM

• ross
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • aussie
    • Posts 67

tappet filter screen 49 pan

Gidday , i am trying to get my 49 pan running and have just done pistons rings top end tidy up and am looking for what needs to go in the oil pump in the way of springs ball bearings special screws etc,and what fits in the engine case hole where tappet filter screen usually goes ? Thanx Ross

Never plead guilty

• Thu, Nov 15 2012 12:16 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,406

Re: tappet filter screen 49 pan

Good-eye Ross,

For the tappet hole, there is the screen, open end down, a spring, then the cap...The other hole in the pump is for the check ball, spring, then cap. If you're running solid lifters you don't need the tappet screen, just put the plug in.

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Fri, Nov 16 2012 6:39 AM In reply to

• ross
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • aussie
    • Posts 67

Thanks FX

Never plead guilty

• Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:18 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,406

You're welcome...Let us know how you are coming along with your build Ross...

FX

• Mon, Nov 19 2012 7:10 AM In reply to

• ross
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • aussie
    • Posts 67

Well i got the 49 pan from 1 of the usa biggest stealerships last year assuming the motor at least would turn over when it got here , wrong !, it was siezed rocker shafts in the heads etc wiring very bad ,since i have re wired it , re built motor done valves ,new kicker gears and bushes in kick cover,put guards on correctly ,fixed brakes , i got bars comin this week so its start up time when i get right oil pump springs and bb . if those parts you refered to me were 740-373 and or 431-411 i have allready got these and they do not fit . even the screen plug 740-566 does not fit even though tech assured me it would ? HD part  # 707 is about the closest thread size to the tappet screen plug 1/2 inch 13 tpi ? can anyone help ?

Thanks Ross

Never plead guilty

• Mon, Nov 19 2012 7:58 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,406

Ross, those part numbers are the correct parts, but for newer bikes. I would suggest calling tech here with the serial # of the engine.

FX

• Tue, Nov 27 2012 11:32 AM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2004
    • Posts 5,019
      Staff

Ross, I apologize that I have been busy with other duties. We offer the screen kits for 52-62 (PN 740-373), 63-65 (PN 740-189), 66-69 (PN 710-372) and 70-99. According to all te reference material I have, 49 should not  have had this. If you are a true small shaft long roller motor that has this tappet screen hole, the 740-373 should work.

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death......

• Tue, Nov 27 2012 1:03 PM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 5,019
      Staff

If that doesn't work, send me some pictures of what you have to sholton@jpcycles.com and I'll see what I can figure out.

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death......

• Wed, Nov 28 2012 6:31 AM In reply to

• ross
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • aussie
    • Posts 67

Thanx Xea it looks like 740-189 maybe the culprit ? i will take some pics in the light of day and send them to you before i purchase another kit . Thanx again very much appreciated  Ross

Never plead guilty

• Wed, Nov 28 2012 9:34 AM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 5,019
      Staff

Do your cases have a Timkin left bearing? Or do you have the small shaft loose roller set up?

• Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:12 AM In reply to

• ross
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • aussie
    • Posts 67

Xea not sure what type of bearing as i have not split the cases yet and hope not to, it was rocker shafts siezed in the heads , i have tried to email pics of the motor to you ? did you get them ?

Ross

Never plead guilty

• Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:40 AM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 5,019
      Staff

i received the photos. What I see are not 49 cases. I think part of the issue may be the threads that have been Heli-coiled in the tappet screen hole. You don't know if the correct thread insert was installed. The cases you have are not from 1949 despite what numbers are on the case. To identify what you have, we are going to have to have you remove the outer primary cover, take a picture of the engine sproket and send it too me. 1952 was the first year the tappet screen appeared, and the cases changed bearing style in 54-55. I suspect what you actually have is an early 60's style case set that the correct tappet screen parts are going to be 740-189. My only worry is the Heli-coil being the correct thread for the plug. Sent me a pic of the sproket and I'll see what else I can tell you. 

• Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:42 AM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 5,019
      Staff

While you are at it, send me a picture of the case numbers (on the pad just above the sproket).

• Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:27 AM In reply to

• ross
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • aussie
    • Posts 67

Xea i will send you the pics asap ,thanks Ross

Never plead guilty

• Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:52 AM In reply to

• ross
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • aussie
    • Posts 67

Xea could it be left case 1960 and the right case 1963-65 ? left case does have timken type bearing and front sprocket  is just a sprocket without compensating sprocket set up ,i'mwaitin for the cook to take the pics

Never plead guilty

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >