J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Apr 1 2016 12:33 PM by fcvgascons@yahoo.com. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 31 2016 5:32 PM

Tank clearance for dule cables on a SS Super E Shorty

I have a 1979 FXS 80 with a 5 gallon tank with a SS Super E Shorty on it and it runs great except  the dule cables do not snap back. I hace a short cable holder on the carb , I have oiled the cables and checked them for thention. The carb with out the cables snaps shut with plenty of spring tention . I have very little clearance for the cables to set into the canle holder on the carb . Any suggestions would be healpfull . Like I said it runs great but know its dangerous not having cables return to close. Is their a manifold to lower the carb or a way to raise the tank up 3/4 " . I have seen these SS Carbs on other Low Riders in pictures so their must be a way.

• Fri, Apr 1 2016 7:58 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,670

Re: Tank clearance for dule cables on a SS Super E Shorty

I had a similar issue when I put a Super E on my Ironhead (I have also a custom mounted an early 80s FLT tank on the bike and heritage style bars).

What I found I had to do is remove the tank, and through trial and error, find a routing that that permitted the cables to operate properly.  Also ensure the cables operate properly while the bars are turned through their full range of turn (hard left to hard right).  I then usxed electrical ties to ensure the cables stayed where I had placed them.  And yes, this required the tank to be removed a number of times .

hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Fri, Apr 1 2016 12:33 PM In reply to

Re: Tank clearance for dule cables on a SS Super E Shorty

Thanks started by re-oiling cables, loosening tention on cables, and re- positioned them.

Snaps back.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)