J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Mar 8 2017 2:03 PM by floydrose. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 13 2016 4:18 PM

transmission adjustment

putting the belt drive on my 1980 fatbob. discovered i'm gonna have to make a oil tank/battery box mount. forgot the chain drive had an adjuster shoe and the trans was not adjustable because of the bracket from the trans cover to the battery box. gonna have to be movable now to adjust the belt. wondering what anyone else came up with to fix this problem

• Mon, Nov 14 2016 6:28 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,985

Re: transmission adjustment

Floyd, I do believe they make an idler adjuster for belt primary drive, do some research. Or you might fabricate a box mount other than the cover. That's of course if you're using the 1 3/4 belt, inclosed. Which remindes me, if you are running inclosed, you have to vent the primary. It gets pretty hot in there...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Mon, Nov 14 2016 4:44 PM In reply to

yea,i'm thinking of some kind of hanger. was just checking to see what someone else might have done. the education continues. pretty much done except for the lower end. won't be long. 

• Mon, Nov 14 2016 5:40 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,985

Let us know how yer do'n brother. Wish I were there...

FX

• Mon, Nov 14 2016 6:22 PM In reply to

thanks brother. 

• Sun, Nov 20 2016 1:04 PM In reply to

decided to wait till i get the motor in to make a bracket or it's gonna look like an erector set. headin back  to ohio next month to talk to a couple engine builders.ain't havin luck in KY.

• Mon, Nov 21 2016 5:55 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,985

Good idea Floyd. Keep us posted (pun intended)...

FX

• Sat, Mar 4 2017 2:22 PM In reply to

got my oil tank in and made a support bracket. getting close. got the belt drive on.surfin the net on belt tension advice. got 20 opinions,every one different. i've got 1/2 inch up and 3/4 inches pushing down. that's an average of all the answers i found. not too sure about the alternator cover either. awful close to the belt. waiting for my exhaust from JP and i'll be ready for a test fire. 

• Sat, Mar 4 2017 3:09 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,985

Floyd, I always set that belt up on the loose side. When everything gets hot the aluminum pulleys expand and the belt gets tighter, and can put excessive side pressure on the clutch drum causing the clutches to drag. Just don't do any burn-outs before it heats up, or it may cause the belt to jump teeth. You'll see what I mean when you check the tension cold, then hot. Ya gotta reach a happy medium. Set-ups are all different on different bikes...I'd start out at about 3/4" play then keep checking it cold and hot, and adjust accordingly...

FX

• Sat, Mar 4 2017 5:41 PM In reply to

ran into bigger problems. fitted the tanks with the engine out and they won't fit. the right side is sitting on the rocker box and still needs to go down an inch to an inch and a half.i've bought so many parts i can't use it's ridiculous.still gonna try and get it started and take it from there. i'll be in touch....

• Sun, Mar 5 2017 6:05 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,985

Oh man, that sucks. How would the tank look raised? Ya could always drive it with the rocker box off. Sorry, had to say it, maybe a little laugh will help ya through this.

FX

• Sun, Mar 5 2017 12:23 PM In reply to

believe me,at this point i don't get shook.if i raise the rear the front lower mount won't line up.problem is what to do next.i looked up the tank i bought and it says it fits my bike but it don't. order another one? might look around and see if i can find a used original harley tank. i set the 6 gallon tanks back on it came with. looka like a VW sitting on it.

• Sun, Mar 5 2017 12:49 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,985

How bout the good ole Sportsrer 4 gal tank?They sit high, or do ya got too much stuff to hide under the tank?...

FX

• Sun, Mar 5 2017 1:25 PM In reply to

yea.i'd have to rewire..

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 10:55 AM In reply to

i got them on. a lotta shimming and spacing but i got em!

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >