J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Feb 22 2017 8:14 AM by floydrose. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 21 2017 12:25 PM

oil pump

got my new oil pump on. gonna run a belt. i know i can shut the rear chain oiler off but whats the best way to plug the primary oiler?

• Tue, Feb 21 2017 1:29 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,180

Re: oil pump

Floyd, leave the small drip feed hose toward the top of the primary case on, cut it off so it goes down behind the case and acts as a vent. Route the hose 'up' a little then down the back to eliminate any oil leaking from primary. Unscrew the hose fittings off the inner case, and use pipe plugs, I think they're 1/8 pipe plugs from hardware store, to plug the holes. You can also use a plug at the pump. Take the T off the line to oil tank vent, and vent engine case directly to the top of the tank. Use only about 4-6 ounces of oil in the primary, enough to splash around and keep the chain lubed. If you're going full wet clutchas, then put about a quart in. I've never gone full wet in a Shovel, but Xea once told me that you could...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Tue, Feb 21 2017 2:19 PM In reply to

i'm not gonna use a primary. kick only. on the pump,do you just unplug the nipple and screwin a plug or bolt?

• Tue, Feb 21 2017 3:57 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,180

Sorry Floyd, I did see that you were running belt, I don't know why I gave you instructions for chain. Damn, I hate when that happens.

Yes, pull the fitting, and use a pipe plug, they're tapered, and will seal better than a bolt. Use some teflon tape, and not too tight. You don't want to crack the aluminum housing with the taper...I'm pretty sure it takes a 1/8" pipe plug. I've seen them in chrome, maybe auto parts store. Home supply stores would have them in galvanized, maybe chrome. Ask for hex hole plugs, they'll look better.

If you have any S&S carb kit left-overs, they come with hex hole plugs that might work...

FX

• Tue, Feb 21 2017 5:09 PM In reply to

thats o.k..i shoulda been clearer. oil line hose they sell on here all pretty good stuff? anything in particular?

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 6:15 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,180

Nope, all good Floyd...

I just thought of something else Floyd, I may have mentioned before. If you're running belt/closed primary, you have to vent the case somehow. It gets pretty hot in there...

FX

• Wed, Feb 22 2017 8:14 AM In reply to

not running it closed,just a guard. searching some installation sites now. furthering my education.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)