J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Mon, May 8 2017 8:47 AM by JAMES.DEAN. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 4 2017 9:13 AM

2010 FLHTCU rough idle and no power when turning the throttle

Reccently i rode for about a 1/4 mile and lost all power, I was able to get back home by cruising at idle and with no response from the throttle. Once home I checked the plug wires since it seemed like it was missing a bit. After a doing that it ran fine and I rode for the rest of the day. Today it is doing it again and adjusting the plug wires is not helping, i took out the plugs and they seem fine. The exhaust smells rich and the bike will only idle. No reving at all when you turn the throttle. Please let me know what you think I should check or adjust.

Modifications: V&H pipes and mufflers, Screaming eagle intake, Dyno Jet Power commander V

• Sat, Mar 4 2017 11:13 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,107

Re: 2010 FLHTCU rough idle and no power when turning the throttle

Always look to what was recently done. This issue could be an intake leak. Start the bike up, let it idle, and spray something like wd40, or even water all around the intake seams. If engine idle changes, that's the problem...Also, if that's a fly-by-wire throttle, it could be bad. Your bike should show you codes of what might be wrong. Your service manual will tell you how to read them...

The Dyno-Jet Power Commander may not be correctly mapped for your configuration.

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Mon, May 8 2017 4:00 AM In reply to

• dokarl9
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 24 2017
    • Posts 11

Try using a different gas. Check also the air cleaner if it is in good condition.

• Mon, May 8 2017 8:47 AM In reply to

redlegw1, I would check the Power Commander 5 calibration first. I would also follow your service manual and check the idle air control.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)