J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Apr 11 2017 8:52 AM by Ironhead. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 8 2017 8:58 PM

Need help identifying what I have

Not sure what i have got myself into but i recently purchased what I thought was a Evo Harley. Turns out it is a custom build using a Evo.  Bike needed a starter when I purchased it and after much research thought i found the proper one.  I purchased a starter for a 1988 softail standard. Once i got the starter and compared to my old starter I knew it wouldnt work.  The starters look very similar(hitachi style starter) but the original one is longer and has larger bolts.  Any advice on what i might have? It has a single bracket starter solenoid, unkown brand inner primary, engine that I belive is a 1998, sputhe trans case, jims trans trapdoor, unkown belt drive primary.  Not sure if any of that helps, but thats what i have gathered so far.  If pictures would help i could try and post those.  Thanks in advance for any help.

• Sun, Apr 9 2017 5:51 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,078

Re: Need help identifying what I have

You didn't say if it was a Harley engine. There's a lot of clones out there. The engine number will tell you what you have. Google that number.

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Sun, Apr 9 2017 6:20 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,562

derrin - first, welcome to the forums - what part of the country are you from?

are there any part #s on the starter or or inner primary?  What size / length are the longer bolts?  What is the length of the existing starter?

These might help someone with the parts books (i.e. J&P staff) identify what you have.

hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Sun, Apr 9 2017 7:43 AM In reply to

I know the jugs are HD, not sure about the case though. I'm not familiar with the aftermarket world of harley, so far though any aftermarket part i have found has been clearly marked with a company's name. I can see a marking for a company on the inner primary that I think would help me, but it is illegible. 

• Sun, Apr 9 2017 7:55 AM In reply to

Im from Birmingham Alabama. This is my first HD project, had several other Jap project bikes. For Harleys  to be so simple they can be very complicated, then again I did buy something that's been pieced together..... Haven't been able to find any part #'s on the inner primary or the starter. Starter looks like a generic chrome starter. I was trying to remove the inner primary last night to get a better look at what's going on, but don't have a socket large enough for the front hub and the clutch assembly won't budge from it's shaft without a puller. I'll check the starter length and bolt size in a bit.

• Sun, Apr 9 2017 7:56 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,078

You have to find a number on the cases to identify the engine. Starter measurements would help, or you could match up the starter with pictures, and discription in the catalog...

FX

• Sun, Apr 9 2017 9:20 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,562

derrin - i just went out and checked my '96 road king - the engine serial # is on the left side of the engine, just below where the two jugs bolt on.

There also should be a frame serial # stamped into the neck (if there isn't an OE tag on the neck) - that will help tell whose frame you have.

and i wouldn't try to disassemble the clutch assembly without the proper spring compressor.

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Sun, Apr 9 2017 12:39 PM In reply to

Got the engine serial# *bklw9144922*

The starter bolts thread size are 1/4-20 and the main body is just over 6" long and tip to tip is about 8"

I wasnt going to take the clutch apart just remove the assembly, from what I have found online it looks like you can remove the assembly without taking the clutch assembly apart.  Also it is a dry clutch setup.

There is no frame serial number, I belive it is a custom frame someone bought and then titled. It has a vin tag rivited to the frame from the Alabama DMV and starts with ALxxxxx instead of 1HDxxxxx.

Im going to try and upload a photo of the engine number and inner primary marking I cant identify.

• Sun, Apr 9 2017 12:44 PM In reply to

I was hoping it would downsize that photo.... Thats not going to tell you anything. Not sure how to delete a post if a moderator wants to get rid of that.

• Sun, Apr 9 2017 2:31 PM In reply to

I think i may have found the correct starter.  Based off what I can find from the thread size 1/4-20 it is most liekly a prestolite and not hitachi style.  Found this starter that looks exactly like the one i pulled off: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3800306

I would rather not have chrome starter and this one burned up after only 11k miles. Considering I dont know the compression on this motor I might just go with the All Balls high torque starter to be on the safe side. 

Did Harleys come with a dry clutch factory at any point?

• Mon, Apr 10 2017 5:48 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,078

Yes the big twins had dry clutches up till 79 or 80 I think. And yes, go with the all balls starter in your case. I'm going to see what I can find on that number, and I'll delete that photo for you...

FX

• Mon, Apr 10 2017 7:13 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,078

I could not find anything on that engine number Derrin, we'll have to wing it...

FX

• Mon, Apr 10 2017 3:04 PM In reply to

derrin410:

Got the engine serial# *bklw9144922*

BK = FXSTC
    L = 1340 Evolution
    W = 1998

When you outlaw freedom, the free become outlaws.

• Mon, Apr 10 2017 8:51 PM In reply to

I appreciate everyone's help on this. I'll let y'all know how the starter works out. Still some mystery to this arrangement of parts but know a lot more than I did a week ago. Strange I have a 98 engine with a starter that shows to fit pre 80's harleys. 

• Tue, Apr 11 2017 6:36 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,078

Sorry Derrin, I couldn't find anything on that number. Speedking has more resourses than I do...

FX

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >