J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post 05-16-2017 6:17 AM by Ironhead. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-08-2017 9:27 PM

bike trailer hitch

I'm planning to pull a small trailer, but I have never ridden a bike with a trailer behind it. Any suggestions on a trailer hitch? Can't decide between the Kuryakyn and Krome Werks.I also heard that a weight distribution system like blue ox is important to level out a trailer.

• 05-09-2017 5:50 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-21-2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,567

Re: bike trailer hitch

dokarl - I have been pulling a small camper trailer (Aspen Classic) with my Road King for the last 3 or 4 years.  I can't remember who mfg the hitch I have, but it has a removable ball (more expensive but looks cleaner when I don't have the trailer).

The trailer I haul is on the big and bulky side - has to push through a lot of wind resistance, is rated for 500 lbs gross (about 2/3 the weight of the bike) and has electric brakes.

some of the things I have experienced:
    - the extra weight makes a difference on the highway and hills
    - the extra weight makes a difference in acceleration
    - since you are working the bike almost twice as hard, the bike tends to get hotter than it would running by itself
    - I don't notice the extra weight (too much) on braking with the electric brakes set as an assist (not lock up)
    - I do notice a difference when turning at slow speeds when the weight on the hitch passes the verticle line where the weight is on the tire / beside the tire - once it passes that line the rear of the bike wants to "fall over" from the weight change
    - If I don't have the brakes adjusted correctly, touching the brakes in a parking lot situtation can become "exciting", thus setting them for assist only
    - follow the mfg recomendation on tongue weight to a tee
    - I have a full swivel coupler system (coupler can swivel 360 degrees) - this isn't necessary for normal riding but if you have a flat on the trailer it might allow you to stay upright (know someone who learned this the hard way)

moral - make sure the trailer is as small and light as possible

hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• 05-15-2017 9:52 PM In reply to

That's a lot of info. Thanks! A friend of mine is selling his Neosho trailer. It is not huge so it should be light in weight. It has leaf springs but no swivel hitch.

• 05-16-2017 6:17 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-21-2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,567

dokarl - I ordered my swivel hitch from California (I think) - if I remember correctly it was $200-$250.

Something else I didn't mention - you WILL burn a lot more fuel

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)