J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Jun 23 2017 3:56 PM by Ironhead. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 22 2017 12:06 PM

sportster 1200 cold exhaust

i have a sportster 1200 the rear muffler i can run bike for a while and still touch it with my hand but front is hot as hell. ive checked spark and fuel doesnt seem to be getting fuel to rear cylinder though the plug has no sign of fuel on it. any thoughts?/

• Thu, Jun 22 2017 12:32 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,587

Re: sportster 1200 cold exhaust

creek - first, welcome to the forums - what part of the country are you from?

What year is the bike?  did this just happen "all of a sudden" or seem to get progressively worse?  Have you performed any maintenance or repairs lately?  have you checked the tempature (carefull) of the exhaust where the pipe is connected to the head?

An old fella that used to be on the forums once said that the internal combustion engine only needed 3 things to run - fuel, compression and timed ignition.  Since you don't feel you are getting fuel to the rear cylinder two potential causes pop to mind - stuck valve or faulty injector (if injected).

Just to make sure all the bases are covered, what process did you use to check the rear plug is getting fire?  Were you able to see blue spark on the rear plug?

My next check would be to check the compression - a compression guage on both cylinders would be best but a back-yard check would be to pull the plugs and hold your thumb over each spark plug hole to see if there is any significiant difference in compression.

Let us know how you get along 

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Thu, Jun 22 2017 2:55 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,108

Yes, we need to know what year/model, and what ignition (single or dual fire), and fuel delivery (carb or injected). Try putting a new plug in it...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Fri, Jun 23 2017 10:20 AM In reply to

sorry finally got a chance to get back on. 2007 sportster 1200cc fuel injected with a fuel pak on it. getting spark has new plugs not getting any fuel torear cylinder plug is dry as a bone. spary carb spray in cylinder hole a runs good for a second so no duel but where to start is my ?

• Fri, Jun 23 2017 10:21 AM In reply to

think its duel fire ignition

• Fri, Jun 23 2017 10:33 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,108

You have a problem with your fuel pack, or a bad injector. Your service manual will tell you how to trouble shoot it...Could possibly read codes and see if that will tell you what's wrong...First though, disconnect battery, unplug and clean (electrical spray) all wiring connections you can get your hands on. odds are a dirty/wet connection. Let me guess, did you just wash the bike?

FX

• Fri, Jun 23 2017 10:57 AM In reply to

no havent washed it in a while LOL... i dont have service book. ive been through connections cleaned already pulled injectors inspected and cleaned but did not test them i dont have a way to for fuel injection. it jumps to 150 160psi compression with no throttle and climbs so i think its good.

• Fri, Jun 23 2017 11:25 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,108

They have service manuals here at J&P for your bike...

FX

• Fri, Jun 23 2017 12:44 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 2,587

creekkrawler:

no havent washed it in a while LOL... i dont have service book. ive been through connections cleaned already pulled injectors inspected and cleaned but did not test them i dont have a way to for fuel injection. it jumps to 150 160psi compression with no throttle and climbs so i think its good.

When you had the injectors out, did you put them back in the same position or reverse them?  If you can reverse them and the problem moves to the front cylinder, then that is an indication there is a problem with the injector - if it stays the same then it shouldn't be the injector. 

• Fri, Jun 23 2017 12:57 PM In reply to

found it swapped injectors runs great need a new injector for rear....wooohooo

• Fri, Jun 23 2017 3:56 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 2,587

That's great news.  if you plan on keeping the bike, I would suggest following Fx's advice and getting a shop manual.  I have also found that a parts manual is helpfull as it shows how things go together and provides part #s when sourcing parts - yoiu should be able to get both of them through J&P and normally they aren't much more expensive than a big box (or two) of beer.

Have a good one.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)