J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Jul 18 2017 8:07 PM by amfshvl. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 14 2017 11:50 AM

I'm Back!

good morning. I will be visiting the forum occasionally on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, as i am working at the J&P parts counter in Anamosa again, part time. I have been absent for a few weeks, due to a glitch in my PC that we just got figured out today. I'm looking forward to talking to you all again.

• Fri, Jul 14 2017 1:15 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,583

Re: I'm Back!

Good to have you back!

For those who haven't had the pleasure, this "fella" has a wealth of informtion available he is willing to share.

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Fri, Jul 14 2017 2:54 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,106

Nice to have ya here again Steve. You'll take some heat off me and Keith...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Fri, Jul 14 2017 4:12 PM In reply to

• lemck
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 9 2005
    • St. Augustine Fl
    • Posts 441

Steve, this is great news and a step forward for J&P!  So good to have you back.

• Sun, Jul 16 2017 9:23 AM In reply to

i'm a little rusty, but it's starting to all come back. i've actually spent the spring and summer working on a car i found, haven't had time for the bike much.

• Sun, Jul 16 2017 1:08 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,106

What car Steve?

FX

• Sun, Jul 16 2017 2:02 PM In reply to

1973 ford LTD, two dr hrdtp, 400 cid, with 36,000 original miles, one owner, totally mint interior and body, no rust anywhere, no wear on the interior at all. just some issues mechanically from sitting. got it drivable a few weeks ago, so i'm putting some miles on it to de-bug it now. not a hot rod or performance car, just a really nice comfortable cruiser for my old age :)

• Sun, Jul 16 2017 3:54 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,106

Wow, that's a boat. You'll have to buy some shares in OPEC to put gas in it. Ya might want to use a lead aditive too, unless you can get leaded gas in your area...

FX

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 10:37 AM In reply to

yeah, it's big. but i'm a big boy and like a lot of room. mileage shouldn't be too bad once i get it tuned right. it's got 2.75 gears in it, so i should get close to 20 on the highway once i get the carb and timing set right. inleaded fuel is not a problem, it's new enough that it has hardened seats, i ran a 73 with a 400 in it up to 300,000 miles with no problems back in the 80's on unleaded fuel

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 11:56 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,106

Sounds good Steve. How bout Star Tron concentrate in the tank, it improved performance, and mileage in my Suburban. I also put an Accel super coil on it, and that improved milage too with it's longer duration spark, and high energy...

FX

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 12:08 PM In reply to

next step is front brakes and bearings. just put a new steering gear on it, rear springs, muff and tail, exhaust manifold, etc. still debating on how far i want to go with it, since it's all bone stock so far. i'm thinking i might convert over to a pertronix electronic ignition system. a four barrel and dual exhaust would be nice, but then it wouldn't be all stock any more, so i'm still stewing on that. i'm spending all my free time in wyoming right now, but eventually i want to go for a lap around the US in the ford

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 12:20 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,106

Dual exhaust can improve performance, I don't know about a 4 barrel though, you'd still have a hard time beating a falcon with that tank...

FX

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 1:49 PM In reply to

it's only 4300 pounds :) when i get done with it, i should be able to get into 3rd gear at about 100 mph with a top end of about 135-140 with those gears. not going to win any holeshot competition though. it's main function is going to be highway cruising, so i'm not looking to max out the horsepower, just make it reliable so i can go coast to coast with it. it is long, it's about 4 inches away from not fitting in my garage, but that length is part of what makes it ride sooooooo smooth

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 3:47 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,583

Steve - if you go with a 4bbl, take a look at the Holly 390 - it is what a lot of the circle track guys use in their 450-550 Hp engines.  Under load it flows about the same as the holly 500 2-bbl (also used by a many many circle track guys - based on rules) but with the extra set of barrels, when you are crusing you would be pumping less fuel.

I always found a 2bbl to be a gas pig in both chevies and dodges.

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 8:07 PM In reply to

• amfshvl
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, May 4 2017
    • Pittsburgh, PA
    • Posts 7

One of the first cars I drove was my parents 1972 LTD Broughm sedan.  It had a 400 modified and felt very powerful.  I was 12 and my truck driving father started teaching me how to drive in parking lot on Sunday's.  Stores were closed on Sunday back then because of the blue law. I am a small block Chevy man and used to work at a GM parts person.  I do have a little bit of Ford knowledge.  I would like to see a LTD with a stick shift like on the Burt Reynolds movie White Lightning.  Although I think an Auto trans is better suited to the car.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)