J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Jul 19 2017 6:05 PM by weave1. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 16 2017 1:37 PM

• weave1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 31 2017
    • Posts 6

Checking cam chain tensioner shoes..

Can someone please help me?? I took cover off cam chain to check the tensioner shoes but i cant tell if there worn or not. How can you tell if they are worn enough to have to be replaced by just looking at them??? Thanks any help!!!

• Sun, Jul 16 2017 2:51 PM In reply to

Re: Checking cam chain tensioner shoes..

i assume you have a 99-06 twin cam. the 433-482 i have here, the wear bar is just under 3/16 inch thick. so, if more than 3/32 inch is worn off, i would replace. if that is not what you have, please give ,e year and model so i can research it for you. i will be off on monday, back on tuesday, and still be here for a few minutes today

• Sun, Jul 16 2017 3:23 PM In reply to

• weave1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6

thanks i have a 2000 heritage classic softail, where is the wear bar?? it does not look like the chain worn into the shoe too far but i dont know how far is to far!!! Thanks again for your help...

• Sun, Jul 16 2017 3:24 PM In reply to

pull up part number 433-482 on our site, you can see the lip on the plastic shoe, that's what i measured

• Sun, Jul 16 2017 3:33 PM In reply to

• weave1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6

I see the side like your talking about but i seen one off the bike and it was worn down in the center where the chain rides and the outside side that you can see was not worn thats why i cant tell how far it is worn in the middle...

• Wed, Jul 19 2017 2:24 PM In reply to

• weave1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6

I see the lip your talking about but the chain runs on the center and i cant tell how far it is worn in the middle.. Is there anyway to check that??

Thanks for the help,

• Wed, Jul 19 2017 2:32 PM In reply to

• weave1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6

I see the side like your talking about but i seen one off the bike and it was worn down in the center where the chain rides and the outside side that you can see was not worn thats why i cant tell how far it is worn in the middle...

• Wed, Jul 19 2017 2:39 PM In reply to

the book says to use tensioner tool HD-42313, to unload the tensioner, pull the pin, and ease the assembly into the unloaded position for inspection or removal. our part number is 910-209, if you pull it up, there are instructions that will show you how it's done

• Wed, Jul 19 2017 6:05 PM In reply to

• weave1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6

Thank you so much, thats just what i was looking for and couldnt find it!! You really help me out THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)