J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Jul 18 2017 7:47 PM by amfshvl. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 18 2017 12:19 PM

• amfshvl
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, May 4 2017
    • Pittsburgh, PA
    • Posts 7

Friction Disc

I am working on my 83 FLHT and I would like to replace the clutch friction disc, along with everything else.  The disc I want are unavailable.  I was thinking about ordering two sets of the 1967 and earlier disc as HD changed to (5) friction plates in, I believe mid 1967.  They went to (5) disc up to mid 1984.  And I believe the disc remained the same and only the number of disc changed.  Does anyone have any input?  AMFdave

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Jul 18 2017 12:42 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,180

Re: Friction Disc

Dave, you really should replace the plates too. Steve F is here today, he is staff, should see this, and be able to help you with fitment...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 1:09 PM In reply to

• amfshvl
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Pittsburgh, PA
    • Posts 7

Thanks FX,  My 83 FLHT has 26K miles on the clock, all original.  I have a milled pressure plate and Kibblewhite springs.  I am getting the 5 finger hub and the anti-rattle plates.  The Alto Red Eagle disc are the only problem obtaining.  I had a 1979 FLH and used a major maufacturers Kevlar friction disc.  I had constant issues with the Kevlar.  That was in 1995 though, they may have changed since then but I am steering clear of Kevlar issue.

I can get a good deal on a Energy One Kevlar kit and was told to soak the plates in what fluid is used in the tranny for at least 24 hours.  That would be 80W-90 in my case.  I would do it but I don't like the sound of it.

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 1:19 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,180

No, I wouldn't do that either. Some manufacturers recommend you do soak them though, but not in tranny oil. Wait and see what instructions come with your new discs...You didn't say if you were running wet or dry...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 1:37 PM In reply to

• amfshvl
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Pittsburgh, PA
    • Posts 7

It's the stock dry clutch set up.  If you look on JP website part # 630-306 a reviewer named bigred1977 has the same primary/clutch set up as I do.  He had problems downshifting and a JP tech gave him the cure.  i double checked it with JP and told me to soak it and in what.  JP tech said disc were absorbing oil and they were swelling.  I trust this cure, I just don't like it.  My 79 FL developed the typical AMF Shovel tranny leak behind the primary drive sprocket and the clutch slipped upon starting out.  I had to remove the disc every week and sand them until I obtained the seal.  The manufacturer said can be run wet or dry.

I was ready to get a bigger hammer after a couple weeks!

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 1:42 PM In reply to

we have alto disc set 630-725 in stock. that clutch is designed to run dry, i would not soak them in anything. assuming the auto oiler is still hooked up and functioning, do not add any oil to the primary. if that has been removed, put just enough oil in it to touch the bottom of the chain, so that the clutch stays dry as possible

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 7:11 PM In reply to

• amfshvl
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Pittsburgh, PA
    • Posts 7

Ok I have seen the carbon set.  It doesn't look like the previous owner ever worked on the bike himself.  Everything is hooked up factory stock.  Even the sealed chain oiler system is which I plan on removing.  But my original question was if ordered (2) part # 630-577 and used (5) of the 8 clutch friction disc would it fit.  I am 99.9% sure it will. 

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 7:44 PM In reply to

• amfshvl
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Pittsburgh, PA
    • Posts 7

I do planon disconnecting the sealed drive chain oiler system.  Its a nice idea but a pain to replace the chain and sprockets, plus it makes it harder to inspect the chain.  Also for some odd reason the JP site says 630-577 will NOT fit my 1983 FLHTC.  Even though I know it will.  Thanks for your assitance Sfranta. 

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 7:47 PM In reply to

• amfshvl
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Pittsburgh, PA
    • Posts 7

I meant 630-725 not 630-577

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)