J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Jul 19 2017 6:35 AM by FX. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 19 2017 12:30 AM

• Butsch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 19 2017
    • Posts 2

99 sportster electrical problem.

Hi guys I bought my first harley today,its a 99 sportster 883,ran great on test ride and all the way to courthouse,on my way home I noticed that the spedo and odometer had stoped working and then it started to sputter like it was running out of gas,then died,tried to start again and battery was dead,got a jump and it all popped back on took off got a little ways down the road and it happened again,it did this twice before I got it home,any ideas what I should be checking , Thanks James 

• Wed, Jul 19 2017 5:42 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,587

Re: 99 sportster electrical problem.

Butsch - first, welcome to the forums - what part of the country are you from?

If you are going to turn wrenches yourself, I strongly suggest getting a shop manual that covers your bike - I like the Clymer manuals - J&P should have one for your bike.  <enough of the soap box>

the first thing I would check is the battery (charge it and get it load tested) and charging system - if the battery isn't holding a charge you will get all kins of electrical problems.

Hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Wed, Jul 19 2017 6:35 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,108

Re: 99 sportster electrical problem.

Butsh, of course check the battery first, but it may not be charging. A service manual will tell you how to check what might be wrong. First, get it running, and put a volt meter across the battery terminals, it should read over 13 volts...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)