J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Mon, Jul 24 2017 1:13 PM by scottymac. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 23 2017 1:02 PM

Starter solenoid / relay

Have a 05 FXWG that would not start, no click from solenoid but could hear relay clicking. Checked voltage at the terminal from relay to solinoid and got battery voltage. Took solinoid apart and all looked good, as a last resort be for buying new starter And solinoid I jumpered direct from battery to solinoid and bike turned over. Grabbed a solinoid off another bike and that worked too.

So question is why would I have battery voltage at solinoid if the starter relay was bad? Weird huh?

• Sun, Jul 23 2017 1:04 PM In reply to

Re: Starter solenoid / relay

That should have been " grabbed another relay off another bike" not solinoid

• Mon, Jul 24 2017 6:28 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,107

Scotty, nice to see ya. You said you grabed a solenoid off another bike, then you mention relay. If you meant relay, then, yes, it was bad...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Mon, Jul 24 2017 9:01 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,587

scottymac:

Have a 05 FXWG that would not start, no click from solenoid but could hear relay clicking. Checked voltage at the terminal from relay to solinoid and got battery voltage. Took solinoid apart and all looked good, as a last resort be for buying new starter And solinoid I jumpered direct from battery to solinoid and bike turned over. Grabbed a solinoid off another bike and that worked too.

So question is why would I have battery voltage at solinoid if the starter relay was bad? Weird huh?

scotty - a relay is similar, in a lot of ways, to a solinoid in that it is an electro-machanical switch (yes, the solinoid does other things as well).  The input to the relay from your switch is a low amperage wire - the input to the solinoid needs to be much higher amperage (draws more watts) - if the relay doesn't put out enough amperage, it still might read 12v but like using your bike battery to boost a pick-up, it may not have enough amps to get the job done.

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Mon, Jul 24 2017 1:13 PM In reply to

Ya I figured that it wasn't getting the right amp's but no where could I find a spec for the required amp for eather the throw out or the hold open coils in the solinoid. I guess that the relay contacts must be burned and like you said wouldn't provide the required amperage to the solinoid coils.

Thanks guys

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)